Walleye and Perch Help, please Walleye and Perch Help, please Walleye and Perch Help, please Walleye and Perch Help, please
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Walleye and Perch Help, please

I will be attending my family reunion near Ft. Wayne, Indiana on 7 Aug., and I plan on fishing the western basin on 8 and 9 Aug., and would greatly appreciate any help I can get with respect to general areas to fish for Walleyes and Perch. I joined the Air Force in 1980, and between my Air Force time and civilian time working for the Defense Intelligence Agency, I was able to retire in 2007, although I have continued working for Defense contractors since then, and I've spent a lot of time in some not so fun places over the last few years, so I am finally getting a chance to attend my family reunion, after missing it the last 5 years. WaliDave had helped me in the past, and I have sent him several messages, but he has not responded, and I have not seen any blogs from him, so I hope everything is OK, as he was very helpful to me in the past. I am bringing my son and boat along and would like to fish on the Western basin for walleye and perch. I would appreciate any info on general areas to fish for casting and areas for trolling. Also, general areas to find perch. I've been watching recent posts, and have a few ideas on where to look for both walleyes and perch, but would appreciate info on best lures for casting and trolling. A spreader with minnows seems to be the choice for perch, so I will probably pick some up at a bait shop. I would also appreciate thoughts on best boat ramp(s) to use for western basin. I used to fish the western basin as a teenager in the late 1970's, but things have changed a lot since then. Sorry for the long post, and appreciate any help I can get.
    Phil

ive been having success inside of kelleys for perch and out between islands for walleyes. perch are average size but plentiful, walleyes are about ten throwbacks to 1 keeper but lots of fun

I would suggest catawba state Park or Mazuriks access located off of state Rte. 163 east towards lakeside Marblehead area . Catawba would give you pretty quick run towards green and rattlesnake islands or G and H cans of camp perry firing range area. All those areas have been holding perch and eyes. Mazuriks access would allow for a quick run to Kelley's island area. Usually decent numbers of perch and eyes in that area as well. As far as casting I always make my own weapon rigs but they can be bought at the baits hops. Although I do know of several people who do throw weight forwards and do well also. If trolling there's a ton of different tactics to learn however plan on jet divers, dipsys, and inline weights if using crawler harnesses. Most importantly.......I believe it's in your best interest to always use fluorocarbon at least on your casting rigs or trolling leaders. Hope this helped some.

Quote Originally Posted by shuclan View Post
    I will be attending my family reunion near Ft. Wayne, Indiana on 7 Aug., and I plan on fishing the western basin on 8 and 9 Aug., and would greatly appreciate any help I can get with respect to general areas to fish for Walleyes and Perch. I joined the Air Force in 1980, and between my Air Force time and civilian time working for the Defense Intelligence Agency, I was able to retire in 2007, although I have continued working for Defense contractors since then, and I've spent a lot of time in some not so fun places over the last few years, so I am finally getting a chance to attend my family reunion, after missing it the last 5 years. WaliDave had helped me in the past, and I have sent him several messages, but he has not responded, and I have not seen any blogs from him, so I hope everything is OK, as he was very helpful to me in the past. I am bringing my son and boat along and would like to fish on the Western basin for walleye and perch. I would appreciate any info on general areas to fish for casting and areas for trolling. Also, general areas to find perch. I've been watching recent posts, and have a few ideas on where to look for both walleyes and perch, but would appreciate info on best lures for casting and trolling. A spreader with minnows seems to be the choice for perch, so I will probably pick some up at a bait shop. I would also appreciate thoughts on best boat ramp(s) to use for western basin. I used to fish the western basin as a teenager in the late 1970's, but things have changed a lot since then. Sorry for the long post, and appreciate any help I can get.
    Phil
    Arround B Can is excellent for both, I dock at Magee east marina , Great place to launch and great people, you can google for location!

Blog Entries

Thanks Captain Tacky! I really appreciate the help. Do most perch fishermen use smaller minnows for bait, like the size you would use for crappies, or do they use larger minnows like the those that are used for springtime walleye jigging? I've noticed conversations on-line about the different types of minnows that are found in the baitshops around Erie, and I want to make sure we don't buy the wrong kind. Thanks again for your help, I really do appreciate it very much.
    Phil

Blog Entries

Thanks M.A.D. Eyes! This gives me a lot of options for several days of fishing, so I really appreciate your help. As I told Captain Tacky, my biggest concern now is finding the right minnows for the perch and a bait shop to buy them. I've seen some posts that have recommended a few places, but if you can tell me if there are good bait shops around the Catawba State Park or Mazuriks area, that would be very much appreciated. Thanks again for all of your help.
    Phil

Blog Entries

Thanks for your help, Troy. Do you use Mazuriks for access? Appreciate any advice on minnow size/type for perch and bait shops to find them. Thanks again for your help.
    Phil

Blog Entries

Default Minnows for Perch and more...

Quote Originally Posted by shuclan View Post
    Thanks for your help, Troy. Do you use Mazuriks for access? Appreciate any advice on minnow size/type for perch and bait shops to find them. Thanks again for your help.
    Phil
    Emerald shiners are popular and usually most desirable. Call any of the bait shops to see if they have them, ask for a price too. Keep them alive using an Aerator. Some are used whole or cut in half to release a scent. I like to use Mustad "Central Draught" hooks, size 28 on a spreader or on a vertical Crappie rig.
    (If on this site, you might want to go back a few weeks and read about conversations we had using white perch belly meat and frozen minnows). Also, go on line and look up how to make a Crappie rig, very simple to do. Some Spreaders are sold plain and simple others have beads, bling and more bling.
    As for launching, you can look up the Marinas and public launch areas. One marina, Meinkies, is a half hour east of Toledo that will take you right out to the Water Intake, a popular area for Perch a few miles offshore. Drive further east on Route 2 and you'll find more Marinas, baits shops, cleaning, etc. (Best fish cleaning is at Cutchers, just off 2, east of Davis-Besse). Keep an eye out for packs of boats anchored, they might be on a school. Hope for a nice westerly wind with 2 or 3 footers.
    Keep in mind that if the conditions are just a little too rough for your boat you can always try to get on a "Head Boat" out of Sandusky, The Cleavelander, (usually for perching), or in Port Clinton, Sassy Sal, Shore 'Nuf and a few more. Ask about rates and what they're targeting that day. I hope you'll post your results.
    Good luck.

If you find big shiners always cut them in half. 1/2s have always out fished whole at least for me.
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

If you plan on using Mazuriks access there is a baits hope on the way on Rte 163 called HI way bait. They have minnows and crawlers. If you plan on using catawba state Park which you can access by St Rte 53, at the intersection of 53 and 163 there is a bait shop called Rickards. Both have websites with contact info. Hope you have a fun,safe,and productive trip Phil.