Drifting / Casting Report Wednesday Kelleys Island Drifting / Casting Report Wednesday Kelleys Island Drifting / Casting Report Wednesday Kelleys Island Drifting / Casting Report Wednesday Kelleys Island
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Drifting / Casting Report Wednesday Kelleys Island

Haven't fished in a while, too busy.

There was a good SSW blow yesterday, so the wife and I headed out about 4:15 PM yesterday to check on the bite SE of Kelly's that was posted, (Thank You!).

She insisted that she wasn't going to fish, just read and "bake" in the mid 90 temps, LOL. I expected some complaining since I knew there would be a good chop once we got far enough away from the S. shore to Kelleys, but the belly aching was kept to a minimum.

We set up with the drift bag out in 30' of water, what I would call due south of the SE corner of Kelleys Island and were drifting toward the island and shallow water with the SSW wind.

I caught a 17" walleye on about the 4th cast on a #4 gold blade with a lip, hammered hex pattern 3/4 oz weight. Working the swing, but very close to the bottom. I had a bottom bouncer out with two hooks and and the same blade, but it was pretty quiet.

The walleye took the hook deep, and I broke the hook, obviously hurrying to get the line back in. The wife was not happy when she had to move all of her stuff so I could get the harness and blade boxes out of one of the front compartments .

Got re-rigged with the same blade and caught a huge shepherd shortly after that. It was taking line and I was chasing it around the boat trying to keep it out of the bouncer line and the wife a says: "alright, give me a pole".

I gave her my pole and began using the same set up, but with a more discolored hammered gold blade with no lip. We made 3 passes through the short area. Brought home the 17", a 16 1/2" and a 15 1/4" fish. Through back two more monster shepherd. The wife caught one of the walleye and one of the shepherd and was happy happy happy. (We might have gotten more gish except for my baiting the hook time and her two big tangles, but it was a fun afternoon. Back at the dock by 6:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the same school I was in, glad they were still there and biting on the same stuff.