Something big. Something big. Something big. Something big.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Something big.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Something big.

Was fishing a mile east of B can yesterday. We were fishing for perch when something hit my line. I was using a medium action rod with a spreader. Whatever it was bent my rod in half and I couldn't hardly reel it in and then my line snapped. So if anyone catches a big fish with a perch spreader hanging out of its mouth let me know what kind of fish it was.

Post Thanks / Like

Large sheepshead or catfish

Post Thanks / Like

It could have been a large carp, catfish, sheepshead, musky or even a sturgeon.

I have people laugh at me for over kill on my perch outfits but for the very reason that you encountered I use this to fish for perch. I spool my reels with 30# Braid left over from filling my trolling reels. It is like 8# mono in diameter and I set my drag like it is 8# mono. My reel is a size 1000 Cabela's Pro Guide Spinning Reel mounted on a Falcon BuCoo ultra light spinning rod. It make for an awesome perch combo and if something breaks in the system it is usually the snelled hook. I hate to have to retie my terminal tackle during a hot bite so changing just the hook is a better deal and much quicker.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

I also use left over braid from my trolling rods for my perch setup. I really like the sensitivity it gives, but have to be careful setting the hook.

Post Thanks / Like

Well DB it was a BIG fish - the state record walleye was caught by a guy perch fishing in November - 16 + lbs.................