Fuel pump to carb line Fuel pump to carb line Fuel pump to carb line Fuel pump to carb line
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fuel pump to carb line

Can anyone tell me if you can replace the fuel line from fuel pump to the carb with anything other than steel? The boy kinda kinked the end going into the filter at the carb and I'm not wanting to reuse it? Thanks guys.
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

Don't see why you couldn't use regular fuel line hose,both my boat engines where that way factory,you can clamp it or zippy ties them, make sure you get the right size. Mostly 2 sizes for boats 5/16 or 3/8" hope this helps!

I would want to be sure to use re-enforced or braided fuel line as there will be pressure there from the fuel pump. Would not trust zip ties for that same reason. Keep in mind if the hose springs a leak that fuel pump is going to keep pumping fuel and a boat is not a place to have a serious fuel leak, especially under pressure. Next you might want to check and see if rubber fuel line is Coast Guard approved. If it is not approved and you have a fire, your insurance may very well not cover it. You may find some fine print in your policy about non-approved modifications! Not that big a deal to bend a steel fuel line or just buy a replacement, if factory they can have one to you overnite if you need it that bad. UPS and FedEx do it everyday.

If you have mechanical fuel pump yes rubber hose will handle the pressure. And be safe if properly clamped

if you have a carbed engine and mechanical fuel pump the gas pressure is only about 3 to 5 lbs of pressure. but I would use a good marine grade gas line and not just a rubber hose gas line. you can go to amazon and type in marine gas line and get it by the foot for something like 4.50 a foot. or there is other choices.

A google search turn up some rubber hose USCG approved A1 rating, two types A and B, A1 being the strongest. Yes it is a pretty big deal bending this one. I will just have to keep an eye on it as I check oil every time I go out. I might be able to find a braided SS, haven't looked for that yet but would be ideal. Thank you all for info.

You can buy the steel line from Jegs on line or by calling them, I had the same problem.

If you use rubber and have a Coast Guard inspection you will get a ticket.

As long as it is carbureted the fuel pressure will be very low, less than 10 PSI. Injected it could be higher than 50 PSI.

You can get by with using reinforced neoprene fuel line that can be purchased at an automotive supply store. I have seen more hoses damaged by screw type hose clamps than you can shake a stick at. Usually because someone over tightened them. Zip ties will work but over time heat and sun light can degrade them and you do not want a fuel leak.. I would use spring clamps that fit the hose. Make sure that the hose stay clear of actuators, pivot points, and cables. Do not strap the hose to any high temperature surface.

This should be a good permanent repair .

PimplePounder
    Last edited by pimplepounder; 06-30-2016 at 02:23 PM. Reason: mis-spelling
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Quote Originally Posted by captain tacky View Post
    You can buy the steel line from Jegs on line or by calling them, I had the same problem.

If you use rubber and have a Coast Guard inspection you will get a ticket.
    The hose I looked at said it was
    uscg approved.

Another easy repair would be cutting the steel line back where you have a straight run and use a compression fitting and a new piece of steel line. You can get a new piece of line at just about any automotive supply store. Just hold on to your old fitting that screwed into the filter. You will just need to have the end of the new line formed to the type of seal it uses. _ie (Single or double flare, flat faced o-ring etc.) Any mechanic worth their salt should be able to do this for you.

This would be the best repair next to a complete replacement of the entire section of fuel line.
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium