Clear water Clear water Clear water Clear water
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clear water

Post Thanks / Like

Default Clear water

Tried fishing the war buoy for perch last sat morning, which was futile. Anyway, I would follow the anchor line down into the water with my eyes. As I did this in 30 ft of water, I kept getting the strangest sensation that I was seeing the bottom clearly. In 43 years I don't think this has ever happened. Could have been an illusion I guess? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Post Thanks / Like

Somewhere around 1969 still foggy on that, but I did notice Most water east of Kellys to Lorain was clear like Iv'e not seen in years! It almost looked Lk Mi.
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.
    Post Thanks / Like

You are probably not seeing the bottom out that far in probably 30+ depth water. I’ve been scuba diving Lake Erie for 25+ years so I am very versed in the Lake’s water clarity. I know the illusion you mention. It could be bottom if you were in less than 20 feet or so of extremely clear for Lake Erie water, but barely visible. Even in the best clarity I’ve ever seen diving the Lake, which was almost clear due to few particulates in the water and in 15 foot of depth (crib reef area), the visibility maximum was about 25-30 feet to see an object, but without detail. It’s possible but extremely unlikely.

It’s also not uncommon for the bottom area to be more turbid than the rest of the water column, especially in a mud/silt/sand bottom location. So surface visibility may be almost clear but farther down it could be less.

If anyone reading this would like to know more about this, help me deploy some underwater cameras in the Lake this season while fishing (takes 15 minutes), please send me a private message. I’d be very appreciative.

West

Post Thanks / Like

West basin, sounds right up my alley, txt or call if you'd like. 419 516 7325, thanks, Teddy

Post Thanks / Like

There has been several times over the past 3 summers where I could watch my anchor hit bottom in 30ft of water North of West Sister. Know for sure as I saw the dirt cloud when it hit bottom.
    36 Foot Sportcraft
    Ranger 620
    Lowrance 104
    Ciscos

Reefrunners

Post Thanks / Like

ive seen the water so clean you could see a long way down but that was late in the year middle nov and we could not catch perch in the clean water we moved half a dozen times and finally found some lightly stained water at b can where we picked up 100 perch we we were very picky at this time a year had fun running all over the lake burnt a lot of gas 8 of us half charter captains this is how they get fish for there freezer when trips are done and fun fishing starts

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.
    Post Thanks / Like

Out there yes. That area doesn't get the wind stir cloudy water from the shores as quickly, plus it also often gets clearer Detroit River water. But it is still pretty rare to see bottom in 30 foot depth water in the Western Basin of LE. Curious - why drop anchor north of West Sister in summer? Perch way out there? Maybe just killed your secret? :-)

Post Thanks / Like

No secret at all. Tons of boats perch North of the Island during the Summer.
    36 Foot Sportcraft
    Ranger 620
    Lowrance 104
    Ciscos

Reefrunners

Post Thanks / Like

I don't ever remember a year where the water was consistently very clear around the islands like it has been this year! Wonder why?

Post Thanks / Like

In the 50's the water was every bit as clear as it is today. We had no trouble catching perch or walleyes during those years between 1955 and the early 60's. Sure water clarity is a factor and requires a little bit more stealth. How many of you have sat in a boat on a sunny day perch fishing when one side constantly and consistently out produces the other? Did you ever wonder why? I have found that the side that has the shadow of the boat on their side most often catches the most perch. That holds true more so when the bite is slower, but there are days when that is reversed. But when the bite is hot it does not seem to matter. Next time watch for yourselves and form your own opinion about my statement you may be surprised.

Heading up to the boat now will post when I get back.
    Last edited by wakina; 07-03-2016 at 10:25 AM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip