Casting?? Casting?? Casting?? Casting??

Thread: Casting??

Default Casting??

I'm headed to the lake Saturday morning after taking last weekend off. Has anybody been catching anything casting this last week??

Catching 50 walleye in order to keep 10. #5 gold and copper blades at a 12 count. Bottom bouncers with #4 gold blades 2 ft off bottom. 2 miles north of gravel pit to 3 miles north of the island

I was out yesterday and today. Casting purple and silver weapons and harnesses seemed to do best, got a few on chartreuse blade ones, just for the heck of it I cast a half oz erie dearie a bit too. Got 2 on that.

I was out myself. I kept a 2nd pole in with a spoon and a heavy bottom bouncer set up to keep it down, and just let it drift. I picked up just one on that, but several sheephead.

Suddenly the lake seems to be flooded with 1 year old fish in the 8-16" range. While it promises good things for next year and the year after, I echo what was said... in the last 2 days I probably pulled in 30 walleye, of which 2 were keeping size. They seem to be everywhere too, from the firing line to cedar point.

Sounds like what I wanted to hear. I,m still eating on last years harvest so I would not mind catching 30 to keep 2. That's the way it was 2 weeks ago and I't was a lot of fun. Not always about stocking the freezer. That's what the Sept/Oct perch are for!!!!!!!! See you on the water and thanks.

Yeah, they are fun to catch. To maximize that fun I switched over to my usual perch pole and reel, a 5' mitchell ultralight rod, light spinning reel, 6 pound braided (2 lb diameter) line. Thing is when I do that- and I have on occasion done so just for the heck of it, or when I had a lot of people visiting who don't have their own gear and were using my poles and I ran short- I always worry about hooking into something BIGGER than 6 pounds. I've had it happen with sheephead and while I've never popped the line with the drag set very carefully, it would kill me to hook into a big walleye and have it break the line near the boat because I was using light tackle for small fish.