Casting?? Casting?? Casting?? Casting??
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Casting??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Casting??

I'm headed to the lake Saturday morning after taking last weekend off. Has anybody been catching anything casting this last week??

Post Thanks / Like

Catching 50 walleye in order to keep 10. #5 gold and copper blades at a 12 count. Bottom bouncers with #4 gold blades 2 ft off bottom. 2 miles north of gravel pit to 3 miles north of the island

Post Thanks / Like

I was out yesterday and today. Casting purple and silver weapons and harnesses seemed to do best, got a few on chartreuse blade ones, just for the heck of it I cast a half oz erie dearie a bit too. Got 2 on that.

I was out myself. I kept a 2nd pole in with a spoon and a heavy bottom bouncer set up to keep it down, and just let it drift. I picked up just one on that, but several sheephead.

Suddenly the lake seems to be flooded with 1 year old fish in the 8-16" range. While it promises good things for next year and the year after, I echo what was said... in the last 2 days I probably pulled in 30 walleye, of which 2 were keeping size. They seem to be everywhere too, from the firing line to cedar point.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like what I wanted to hear. I,m still eating on last years harvest so I would not mind catching 30 to keep 2. That's the way it was 2 weeks ago and I't was a lot of fun. Not always about stocking the freezer. That's what the Sept/Oct perch are for!!!!!!!! See you on the water and thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, they are fun to catch. To maximize that fun I switched over to my usual perch pole and reel, a 5' mitchell ultralight rod, light spinning reel, 6 pound braided (2 lb diameter) line. Thing is when I do that- and I have on occasion done so just for the heck of it, or when I had a lot of people visiting who don't have their own gear and were using my poles and I ran short- I always worry about hooking into something BIGGER than 6 pounds. I've had it happen with sheephead and while I've never popped the line with the drag set very carefully, it would kill me to hook into a big walleye and have it break the line near the boat because I was using light tackle for small fish.