Wind and waves Wind and waves Wind and waves Wind and waves

Thread: Wind and waves

Default Wind and waves

I am new to western Erie fishing and will be traveling a few hours from central Indiana. Walleyes will be the primary target but those big perch look appealing as well :-) Looking at the wind forecast (ultimately the wave forecast) what are the limits of locals to consider fishing? What is the translation of wind speed and direction to wave height? I plan on fishing out of Port Clinton and Sandusky to start. I have a 20' Grady White which seems small compared to what you guys drive daily. It can take the pounding but lets bet real with what is fun and what isn't :-) I am from the east and have fished Ontario and Champlain so I am use to the big water effects. Thanks in advance, this forum has already provided a lot good information for me. I promise I will return the favor!

I used to have a 19 foot sea ray. Anything up to 4 footers was ok. Past that no. Wind speed and direction... well if it's out of the south, it can be quite windy and you can still get out if you hug the shore and such, out to about a mile. If it's out of the north or NE or whatnot, usually about 15-20 mph will produce 4 foot waves.

Keep in mind too you don't want to go out if it's already at your limit just to have it kick up more.

I was out today. West winds swinging between SW and NW, about 15 mph. I'd say waves were about 3 feet. Maybe a few cresting to 4. Not whitecapping yet. That's another good indication; when you start to get the tiniest froth of white at the top of some waves, it's about the limit for a 20 foot boat- at least it was mine.

These days I am in a 24 foot hard top. I'll GO out in anything up to 5 footers, but I've gotten stuck in it with 8-9 footers... it was pretty damned miserable and had to chug in at about 4 mph, with some waves breaking over the nose faster than the boat would rise up over them.

This lake can kick up fast, no fish is worth your boat or your life.

Blog Entries

I am in a 17' Bass Tracker converted into a duck boat. I fish West Sister, Even North of West Sister. Wave forecast must be 2' or less before I head out there. I have been caught in 6 to 8's. Not fun! Long ride home. Don't take the swells head on. Hit at 45 degrees and power up, otherwise it will push you back in the valley. I have a 75hp, which is good power for my small boat to climb out of the valley. One thing you must do if you decide to venture out, is get a marine radio with distress signal capability. You will also need a GPS that will communicate with the radio. This will give you comfort knowing the coast guard is easily available, and your location is communicating electronically. Also, you must have an electric bilge pump that is auto or switch activated. When you do take water from a wave, you don't want to divert your attention from piloting to pumping water out manually. Not recommending you go out past your comfort point, but West Sister is reachable in 17' boat. I agree with tadams. Once you see froth on top of the waves, you know it will be a rough ride.

Having grown up on lake erie I have found that when you begin to see the white cap on the wave you are at a 2 foot wave, as the white cap gets bigger so does the wave obviously. If I see a good 4-6" of white cap then I know it is a good 3 ft wave etc. Now the real problem I see is the lousy weather forecasting that is going on these past few years. Yes it is getting less accurate each month. I use three different wind and wave forecasts and then take an average or the best two of the three but on some days all three are dead wrong. Just last Monday all 3 stations forecasted 1 ft waves but when we got out there it was 3 ft plus. Now they died down to 1 ft in the afternoon but the morning was quite rough. As far as boat size/wave size I have a 22' and I draw the line at 3ft. if 3's or less then go but if 3's or more I make it another day. The boat can handle the waves, it just isn't fun being tossed around in the boat, have come home bruised before just because it was so rough.