in line weight depth chart in line weight depth chart in line weight depth chart in line weight depth chart

Default in line weight depth chart

Where can I find a depth chart for in line and snap weights? I'd like something to cover as light as 1/2 oz.

Since running any weighted system. The depth is determined by mostly by the speed that the weight is being pulled. If going with, across, or against the current also has affect on the depth. When you add in the variables like line type, line dia. etc there is no real answer. The best "known" chart is in your head. It is quite easy to set out one weight when at your trolling speed and direction. Semi slowly let out the weight till you touch bottom. Stop right there and once the baited system reaches the boat's speed. Typically a spinner blade will lift 3 to 5 ft. Let more line out and you will be closer to bottom. Do that a 3rd time and you should be dragging bottom.
    Divide that first bottom contact number into the depths you want to cover. Say 45 out, 30 out and 15 out. For example. Change those numbers to 50,35,10 on the other side of the boat and you are covering the water column quite well. When the fish tell you where they want the bait. Move a couple rods at a time closer to the line out that caught at least 2 fish and you are starting to dial into the active biting fish. If that makes sense.
    Doing this for just a couple days, you should have a real good idea on what line out numbers to use in the future in area's you fish. And when going to other area's, you will have a good idea on what numbers to use.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Great Information.

I troll with TT's, but am interested in getting proficient with snap weights. So if I understand your post above, you are talking about in line weights running either in front of the harness or in front of a leader in front of the harness.

I understand from various sources that if using snap weights to get shallow diving crank baits to depth, or deep diving crank baits even deeper, the weight needs to be attached at least 20 feet in front of the lure to not affect the lure's action. (i.e. Capt. Juls 30/30 method.) Would this produce the same depth as could be determined by your above described method? I use 20# nylon line on my trolling poles, which does change things relative to 10#.

Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    I am interested in getting proficient with snap weights. So if I understand your post above, you are talking about in line weights running either in front of the harness or in front of a leader in front of the harness.
    I understand from various sources that if using snap weights to get shallow diving crank baits to depth, or deep diving crank baits even deeper, the weight needs to be attached at least 20 feet in front of the lure to not affect the lure's action. (i.e. Capt. Juls 30/30 method.) Would this produce the same depth as could be determined by your above described method? I use 20# nylon line on my trolling poles, which does change things relative to 10#.Thanks for any help.
    Using a weighted system your boat speed is the largest depth controller. When comparing the same weights, not as much on line dia.
    If your using deep diving lures, yes 20 ft ahead of the lure would be a minimum. 30ft is fine also. That distance ahead of the lure should not affect the action of the lure. You can go 20/20, 20/30, 20/40 to the board for different depths. Or use the 30/30 the same way for deeper depths. Some use the 20/20 and each closer line to the boat gets a heavier weight, 1oz, 2oz, 3oz etc. Lots of ways to do it. Same with the 30/30.
    When running shallow diving baits, You can also use the 20/20 or 30/30. Or use different weights with a 6 ft leader ahead of the lure as the shallow divers won't be affected in their action. Some use inline weights. I've switched to using weights attached to a 3 way set up I make. Much easier to just remove the weight when moving to do another pass, running back in etc. The leader, lure and 3way can stay attached to the rod. Even goes into the rod locker that way. Saves a lot of time and aggravation if your the only one setting up lines. I paint the weights different colors for ease of use. And these are a lot easier than using bouncers, no swinging weight to deal with. Just the way I do it. The coated cable/3 way also catches weeds before getting to your lure. I hope that makes sense.

Last edited by ebijack; 06-01-2016 at 08:51 AM.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.