Converting to hydaulic steering question Converting to hydaulic steering question Converting to hydaulic steering question Converting to hydaulic steering question

Default Converting to hydaulic steering question

I have a 1994 sportcraft 25' with a 5.0 liter motor and Volvo out drive I/o. Im thinking of putting an autopilot on the boat . Is there anyone one that has converted from mechanical to hydraulic steering some of the question I have would be is it worth doing ?
    Can I do it my self ( it don't look that hard to do from what I can find looking things up) or should I just have it done ?
    What's the best systems to use?
    Maybe any thing I'm not thinking of
    Thanks in advance I know there's a ton of knowledge on this sight

I did it on a outboard motor, by myself, a seastar helm, I think it was worth every penny! You have to install the hydraulic helm, route your lines ,an install a cylinder,you would need help to purge the system, which I thought was pretty easy, but I don't know about a i/o , also don't know much about a auto pilot .no more engine torque at higher speeds, can let go of steering and the boat will continue in that direction, improved my boat handling 100%

Check out raymarine autopilots. They have a model that has a servo that goes behind the steering wheel. A friend of mine has this on a 27' sportcraft with an i/o and it works great. considerably cheaper than the hydraulic setup too.

How does it hold up everything iv looked into says they don't hold up vary well

6 years with and 0 issues. Setek (mechanical not hydraulic)I . heard all the same things back then but didnt want to convert to HYD yet.

Chuckie who installed your system for you