Jigging report 5/3 or lack of... Jigging report 5/3 or lack of... Jigging report 5/3 or lack of... Jigging report 5/3 or lack of...

Default Jigging report 5/3 or lack of...

Was very thrilled yesterday to finally get my first opportunity to go jigging. The thrill didn't take long to turn to disappointment, started over south of A can in 16 fow to 13 fow and worked back to crane creek. Not a single mark or nibble. is it over? Am I to late? Idk.
    Has anyone had any luck casting wepons in deeper water yet? Or is it to early? If it's to early what signs should I be looking for to get started with that? I don't have trolling equipment and am not to interested in it. Just want to get out there with friends and family and catch some fish. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry D View Post
    Was very thrilled yesterday to finally get my first opportunity to go jigging. The thrill didn't take long to turn to disappointment, started over south of A can in 16 fow to 13 fow and worked back to crane creek. Not a single mark or nibble. is it over? Am I to late? Idk.
    Has anyone had any luck casting wepons in deeper water yet? Or is it to early? If it's to early what signs should I be looking for to get started with that? I don't have trolling equipment and am not to interested in it. Just want to get out there with friends and family and catch some fish. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
    Just for the heck of it several years ago, (12), I bought a "Dipsy Diver". Guess what? It worked better than just drifting and jigging. Not expensive and if you want to have fun with friends and catch fish too.....

We were out Tuesday night off Crane Creek in the same area. Fished 3 hours and caught 9 and kept 8. Purple and Black. Slow lift - not jumping the jig. Presentation may have been your problem

Like I said, I've never done it before, and I probably had more problems than presentation. I did try a slow lift about 1 to 2 feet up and then back down. Was using black and purple tipped with minows. I appreciate your guys help and insight. I'm goin back out sat. Morning to deep water to see if I can get any takers with wepons and bottom bouncers.

Don't feel bad. Made first trip out myself Tues. Two of us had a 26, 2 28 and a 32 incher! Problem was three went bah and one went meow!

Not a single eye, and those four were all we caught. Tried jigging various colors and presentations...slow lift, quick snap, even cast and hop. Tried from 9 to 18 feet or water from K can to Tousaint up to Crib...out away from pack and in the pack both! Also drug bottom bouncers, nothing on those (pretty slow drift). Even cast some spinners and worms. And casted a few cranks into the shallows on the reefs.

Saw a lot of boats but not many nets in the water, both jiggers and trollers. On the radio, sounded like many of the trollers struggled too, with none, one or two, so I think it was a tough bite day. Course there were always the few that had found pockets and were talking 8-9 in the box. But overall I think they are in that phase where they don't know if they want a jig or a worm.

I was between Niagara and D can caught three two eaters oand one 26 inch bite 26 fow was spotty drift was slow don't recommend lifting so high keep line @ 45 degree and only lift about 6 to 8 inches hope this helps Good luck
    2014 21 ft TIDEWATER CENTER CONSOLE
    ELITE CHIRP/DOWN IMAGING