Big  Board's Big  Board's Big  Board's Big  Board's

Thread: Big Board's

Default Big Board's

I see the captain's that run big board's have them running deep in the water with mostly just the flag sticking up, could someone tell me the reason, do they pull better this way? I noticed my boards jump more, l have them weighed,but maybe not enough. Also I'm running off of a mast in a small boat so the waves jerk my board's around some.

In short, "yes" they pull better because they don't "jump" and "skip" across waves and knock all the lines off. I can drag mine in 4-6' waves and not skip or jump enough to lose lines.

I have run mine off a mast with no problem. If you are using the light Amish Outfitter boards that are made of lightweight material you will probably always have them jump. The heavy wooden ones work well. Skipper 9's boards pull hard and stay in the water. Maybe some guys in here have good experience with other planer boards that stay in the water too.

-Matt

We put the Shock Cable or bungy cords on ours and seemed to help a lot. Keeps them stable in 4 footers, and when making turns. Hope this helps.

Thanks guys! I have two foot board's i built myself, their cedar but there 8"deep, they pull alot better the farther out they are to a point. I will be adding some weight thanks agian! I MIGHT even swab the deck to spend a few hours with these guy's LOL ! Thanks!
    Last edited by Frank; 04-30-2016 at 07:15 PM.

Yes the deeper they run the harder they pull which stops the boards from jumping out of the water on rougher days. The boards I run are good up to 6 foot waves. I use 4 to 6 pounds of lead on each side to sink the board farther in the water.

Thanks! Skipper 9 , I thought it would take alot of weight to get them to run that deep, since my boards are 2 footers ,2sounds like a good number to start with ,so I will start with 2lbs each. Also my boat is small so I don't think I will be doing 6' waves LOL! . Did that effect your tow point adding that weight?

No. They just run deeper in the water. Make sure you add the weight evenly. When I add the weight I move they weight around so that the board sits evenly in the water at the dock. So if you do add two pounds it should be half a pound on each corner so let it runs true.

Thanks! Since it's a rainy day I will get to that today..

I used 1X10" AZEC boards to make mine. They are 40" long and sit deep in the water without ballast. They pull so hard I have to stop the boat to get them in.

HYPO

I made mine out of cedar,if I make another set I will choose a heavier wood, all weighted now and since they a cedar they will probably last me till I throw in the towel, thanks to everyone again!