Dipsy divers? Dipsy divers? Dipsy divers? Dipsy divers?

Thread: Dipsy divers?

Default Dipsy divers?

I used Dipsys fifteen years ago pulling shallow hj's and stinger spoons. then bought a set of big boards ( plastic ) now I'm about to use for the first time a new set of Offshore 12 in-lines. I'm pretty much a gear junky but limited income of being retired drives me crazy with upgrades. I'll be shopping for clip upgrades and tattle flags now.
    Does anybody use dipsy divers anymore? I've been away from trolling for 10 years but I'm trying to catch up. Lol

We always run 2 slide divers in our set on both Lake Erie (Erie, Pa) & on Lake Ontario. Do pretty well on both lakes. Sometimes they outfish everything else. They don't dive as far as the regular dipseys but it allows us to give any length lead we want when the fish seem to be skidish.

I run dipseys every time out mostly with spoons...they always catch fish...very few times they won't...

Yes, lots of boats run dipsey divers (or Walkers) off the corners when running big boards. Set at 2 or 3 they pull away from the boat and allow retrieves over the top. Those corner sets often produce very well as mentioned.

I was jus looking at possibly gettin some divers. How do you get them setup? What rod/line combo works well?

I run the walker 107. Along with many of the people in my network. So that we an duplicate each other with out having to figure out what dipsey size and ring everyone is using. The walker 107 is 107 mm wide about the same size as a standard dipsey with a standard ring. But because the walker is one piece no worries about the ring falling off. I have been catching 2 to 5 fish a day on the walkers with perfect 10s back 30 foot on a 2.5 setting.

Anyone use the jet divers or the tripZ divers?

I run jets and true trips out the back and occasionally off the big boards.

I don't run big boards but do run the lite bite slide divers on the central basin. I started with dipsy divers then changed to the walker 107 divers then I seen the lite bite work on the slide diver and switched to them. I run 3 divers off each side and 2 downriggers 1 off each corner. the thing I liked about the lite bite slide divers is the lite bite release that I can set light enough that a white perch will usually trip the diver. and I can set the front release tight enough that its not tripping in rough water. I don't use the slide feature on the diver but tie to the front arm then tie a short piece of line to an o ring and lace it through the back of the diver going through the lite bite arm. then I tie on my rubber snubber (as I use braid for my main line) then tie on a 6' to 9' fluro leader then tie on my lure. and running 6 divers and the 2 downriggers we catch a lot of fish.

I went out on a charter a couple of yrs ago and he ran inline boards but still ran a diver off each corner and they caught fish for us.