In line weight questions In line weight questions In line weight questions In line weight questions

Default In line weight questions

I have questions about using in-line weights. I typically fish Jets but want to try in lines for a change.

1. Do you attach them to the end of your main line then add a leader behind the weight? Leader needs to be short enough to be able to land fish so I wonder if the weight effects lure action. In my case I would have a maximum 6-7 ft long leader. That seems pretty short not to affect lure action with a 2 oz weight.

2. Do you use clip-on weights? Add them to your line after it's out 50 or so back? then let out more? What type/brand of clip on do you use? Is there a special trick to those?

3. If using clip ons, how often do you lose them when fighting fish? I notice clips can be pretty expensive. Seems like a lot to risk if you lose very many.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Bordy
    Old beat up Lund 21 Barron....

Typical inline weights are fished the same as a jet, at the end of the main line with a 5-7' leader. Considering these are usually only used with harnesses or spoons, the weights don't seem to affect the baits at all. We've caught our fair share of walleye off of 2 & 3 ounce "trolling sinkers", they're simple and unlike a Tru Trip there's no tuning necessary to make sure you're fishing instead of fighting your gear.

Clip on sinkers are generally used when fishing crankbaits and they're fished as you mentioned, let out half of your line, add a sinker, let out the rest of your line. You take them off when they get to the rod.

I wouldn't hesitate to run sinkers again. They're simpler and cheaper than Tru Trips, they're easier to reel in, and they're not going to tripwith no fish on or not trip with a fish on. The only downside is, they don't suspend/float (duh) so if you slow down or stop you're probably going to need to reel up your lines to remove the mussels, whereas the jets are going to suspend. However, they're also going to move up and down the water column as you speed up and slow down or on the inside/outside of a turn, so this can help you dial in on the right depth a little quicker sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bordy View Post
    What type/brand of clip on do you use? Is there a special trick to those?

3. If using clip ons, how often do you lose them when fighting fish? I notice clips can be pretty expensive. Seems like a lot to risk if you lose very many.
    Use the OR-16 release from Off Shore Tackle. It has a pin in the center of the pad, so if you put the line behind the pin, it's not coming off the line until you take it off.

I have yet to lose one, and I have been using them for 16 years.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Thanks for the advice Hoytman86 and Capt. Juls. I appreciate the input. I mostly use Tru-trips and run big boards, but sometimes when just scouting an area I like to run in-line boards rather than hassle with the big boards. I think the Tru-trip 40s pull too hard for in-line boards so I was looking at trying in-line weights. I hear so much about them and tadpoles, etc that I will be experimenting with them this year. I also use bottom bouncers, but primarily when drifting. I'm looking forward to my first trip of the year 3 weeks from tomorrow! I can hardly wait!
    Bordy

My boat: 1987 Lund 21 Barron
    1997 115 Suzuki 2 stroke
    1993 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
    Humminbird Matrix 97
    Homemade PVC rod holders
    Yee haw!

Lots of options when running weights. Snap weights, inlines, bouncers, 3 way (wolf river rig). Since you mention running jets, take note that when letting out any weighted system, you have to let out line a lot slower than with a jet. Or you chance snagging bottom. Just use your clicker and drag to allow slow take out, or set lines at a much faster speed as to not snag bottom.
    I rarely use snap weights any more. I have around 20 set up and used to use them a lot. For me, I have not found much if any of a difference in any crankbait's action besides RR800's, they don't dart left/right as much, but still catch fish using a weight attached at my main line with a 6ft leader to the bait. For most of the western basin, 2 and 3oz weights should be used as 1oz are affected by diving baits.
    This is what I have switched to using the past years. The #30 coated cable holds up very well, catches weeds before your bait. You can leave your baits attached to your rods, just remove the weight. Mine fit in my rod holder box no problem with only the weight removed. Makes getting ready to run a lot easier, saves a lot of time! I paint my weights different colors for easy identification. Much easier to store than bouncers. Works for me, your experiences may be different

I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

inline weights can be a great tool for catching eyes. you can get a depth chart or order weights from rednekoutfitters.com

I went out on a charter a couple of yrs ago and he ran inline boards with inline weights and a dipsy diver off each corner. he used about a 6' to 8' fluro leader. there was 3 of us onboard and we ended the day with 17 fish, 1 away from our limit. but we lost a few for 1 reason or another. but the inline weights worked great on the boards.

I use homemade clip on, took alligator clips an bottom bouncer mold, molded weights attached clips, put a 1/6" rubber band on line after x amount of line out put tight, clip weight to rubber band,let out x amount of line, fish on reel in unclip weight,,, an reel rubber band right on in, reset just let line out to rubber band clip weight back on an your the same distance from lure. I use clips from a hobby store for badges, they have a hole behind the clip,l put #12 split rings in holes. Mold my sinkers with short wire's, twist a eye in the wire, can change weights or add to by the split ring .sure beats 40 clams a pop for store bought

Thanks again for the input. This is all very helpful.

I definitely know what you mean ebijack about letting out in-lines/bottom bouncers slowly versus Tru-trips/Jets. That is one huge advantage of jets...they float! It's easy to let them, or let a less experienced angler let them out without getting a huge mess. Nothing worst hitting a hot bite and have 3 or 4 lines tangled up while trying to clear the whole mess, run the boat and keep from loosing your temper....ha ha. But that's what makes it fun to take newbies. There's always something for them to learn.
    Bordy