Planer board issues Planer board issues Planer board issues Planer board issues
    Blog Entries

Default Planer board issues

We ran in- line planer boards through the weekend. The only day we had success was Friday when the water was glass. We're trying to figure out what the issue is, and we're wondering is if it could be that the in-line boards don't run in the water right with a bigger boat. We have a 27' Amberjack, while most of the others running these boards were mostly much smaller bass boats. Is this possibly the problem? We're also thinking of switching to the bigger boards, but since it's a bit of an investment we wanted a sense if the bigger boards really make a difference.

Dont blame the inline boards!

boards run independent of the boat...and simply put the lure away from the boat thats it...

Fish are moving constantly... location and depth .... trial and error ... whatever gear you;re using....

i believe some active fish are moving deeper...as water warms..

its always a challenge to figure out the program..

that why its called..
    fishing...

not catching..
    Last edited by ltracey; 04-27-2016 at 10:06 PM.

Your boat size and type has nothing to do with how the small boards produce or don't produce. Need a little more information. Type of line and #test, lure type and speed GPS/SOG.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

We are not pros by any means but we used in lines the last few trips out on a 24ft, has great a few weeks ago, fish has just been spotty, even from many of the more professional level captains are have to work and pull out all their trick.

There are certainly pros and cons to each system of boatss. But smaller boats do have a harder time i feel with big board setups, space on the boat for storage, get the main line high enough to not have it in the water is another issue smaller boats have.

But to says a larger size boat make in lines less effective, I'm not sure that's a line that can drawn, but maybe someone with alot more experience and expertise can chime in with a better answer

So what is your definition of "you didn't have success"? Maybe that will help get some more specific advice...do you mean that you didn't catch fish or that you couldn't get the hoards to run right? If the latter, what was not right about them?

I think what you are saying is that the boards are hard to read when ruff go with the waves makes it easier if you want to go over same spot pull in the lines run back upwind and reset

mc captain, we fished out of my buddy's 27' Amberjack all week end. Saturday we did alright running the small boards in the rough stuff, Sunday nothing. This is the first year that we have used the small boards and I hear your frustration after watching people around us catch fish on Sunday and we drew a blank. Hang in there, it could be color selection, speed or running depths. If something isn't working you have to change it up.

Good Luck in the future