Erie Baits Erie Baits Erie Baits Erie Baits

Thread: Erie Baits

Default Erie Baits

Have some newbie questions if you all don't mind helping a little. I've gathered that throughout the year the most effective trolling Baits on Erie change as the temp increases etc. So what is the progression of different baits people use and what time of year, or water temperature, do they typically coincide with?

How do you know when to move on the the next tactic? Run a couple of each and see what is hot and then pull the others and run all one type, or automatically just change at certain times?

And help in the learning curve is greatly appreciated! I'm having a great time trolling cranks right now and learning that but don't want to get caught by surprise when they slow down and all the sudden not be able to catch fish

I'm in your boat and learning, but no worries, just stick around here and listen. I am sure we will know when things are changing.
    Dave(snothere)
    2352 Trophy Hardtop WA
    Channel Grove Marina
    Sammy the Lucky Golden

Stick baits are great right now. When the water temp starts pushing the 50 and above range switch to spinners. Getting to the 58 which usually is around June switch to spoons. Hope this gives a little better insite.
    Justin Pickett
    F/V Motor Mouth
    Parker 2320 SL
    Foxhaven Marina

Hello, I'm also a newbie. This is my first post. I will be docked at West Harbor marina this year and had some other questions that fall in this category. As the water warms up and the walleye start heading east, what fishing is left here in the west basin? Do the perch or smallmouth stick around? Is there any walleye that stay in the area? Thanks in advance for any info and tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Gries27 View Post
    Hello, I'm also a newbie. This is my first post. I will be docked at West Harbor marina this year and had some other questions that fall in this category. As the water warms up and the walleye start heading east, what fishing is left here in the west basin? Do the perch or smallmouth stick around? Is there any walleye that stay in the area? Thanks in advance for any info and tips.
    Welcome to the forums!!

Depends on the food base and water temps. Most of the large females head east but there are always some here in the Western Basin. Since you are docked at West Harbor you can run east of Kellys Island and do that bite which is usually better than the west of the Islands bite during the summer months(July&August). But like I said there are always some close at hand and the trick is first finding them and 2nd getting a program in front of them that makes them hungry enough or mad enough to bite. They should be rather plentiful until mid July but that again depends on the temps and food base.

Perch will be around most of the year but they will be scattered and harder to catch and they do move around some until late summer early fall. The small mouth bass seem to stay in a given home area and do not roam around in the nomadic way walleyes do. If you find them I would recommend that you keep the location to yourself as they do tend to stay in one area, once the word is out the meat hunters will move in and thin them to the point that it is no longer fun fishing for them. Some selfish people just don't have a clue.
    Last edited by wakina; 04-11-2016 at 04:55 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Quote Originally Posted by Gries27 View Post
    You are close enough to where I dock. If you don't mind give me a call and I will be more than happy to make sure you are fishing the right lure and Fishing on top of the fish. But just don't call me to lift the cooler out of the boat. I get enough of that already. Lol. 614.327.7144. Jim

Thanks for the great info! I am launching this Friday afternoon with the family and plan on fishing Saturday morning. I'll keep watching for more great info on here.

-Dave

What Marina in west harbor you docking at? Mine is in Foxhaven
    Justin Pickett
    F/V Motor Mouth
    Parker 2320 SL
    Foxhaven Marina

Quote Originally Posted by mikecat13 View Post
    Have some newbie questions if you all don't mind helping a little. I've gathered that throughout the year the most effective trolling Baits on Erie change as the temp increases etc. So what is the progression of different baits people use and what time of year, or water temperature, do they typically coincide with?
    How do you know when to move on the the next tactic? Run a couple of each and see what is hot and then pull the others and run all one type, or automatically just change at certain times?
    And help in the learning curve is greatly appreciated! I'm having a great time trolling cranks right now and learning that but don't want to get caught by surprise when they slow down and all the sudden not be able to catch fish
    Plenty of good info comes on this site, as well as where I replied to you on this same question elsewhere.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.