In need of your all advice In need of your all advice In need of your all advice In need of your all advice

Default In need of your all advice

We are planning on coming up Sunday 17th if the weather holds we always put out from Kelley's we usually always pick up some North of the island and don't deal with much traffic on the water would we have the same luck or better if we put in and went out from Catawba and if Catawba would be better what direction should we head north toward Bass? or just strait out west or up around the point back toward Kelley's????? any help would be greatly appreciated. also how is the Jig by now? planning on running some crank baits as well as doing some jigging purple jig tipped with minnows?

Well.... Hm...
    My advise may be different depending on your boat and setup, so please share that info when you reply. I am curious if you are saying in your post that you usually go over to Kelley's to put your boat in? That would make me think that you are in a smaller boat and staying close to the island. If that is the case then you won't want me telling you to go to Niagra Reef, even if that is where the fish are.

10 days from now is a tough prediction. Make sure that no matter what I say or anyone else, you should check back a few days before and the. Keep checking this forum until the day of your trip.

The Walleye typically move with the water temps.. Yes, there are other factors too, but water temp is a big one.
    This time last year there were walleye being caught right up the middle between SB and Kelly's
    2 weeks ago some boats did well North of Kelly's. A couple weeks ago I marked a ton of fish just a couple hundred yards West of Kelley's.

However, in the past week the water temperature has actually dropped! Not something that is super common right now. With the current weather and the way things are looking, it might be a little bit before they are "slamming" them around Kelly's. The firing range has been great when the water isn't mud. Niagra is still good. Early I. The morning the ferry channel is usually good for a couple tickets. All of those areas are better served from launching from Catawba or even Mazuriks in my opinion, unless you are staying on Kelly's Island.

As the water warms up in he shallow Western Basin the fish move East. They will move from the far West and West side of the islands, to the South and middle of the islands and Gull, etc.

The jig bite is directly tied in with spawning. Which is also tied into the water temp... If you are going to jig, the best place to be in the next couple weeks is West of Catawba on the reefs. Look at a map of the firing range and Che k out the reefs. Jig bite has been on and off with the weather.

I know that I didn't give you the crystal ball report, but that's about as good as "I" can accurately tell you 10 days away and the weather the way it is.
    If you go to Kelley's and North of it on the 17th, you should see and catch some fish. Typically they are around and can be caught that time of year over there. But water temp and clarity have a lot to do with that and that is changing daily.

I'll give you better ideas closer to the 17th. Please do tell us if you are trolling or drifting, and size (or type) of boat and gear you are using.

-Matt

He's going out in a kayak. Launch off of Kelley's and fish west of the island. Trolling cranks should be productive and the fish in that area should be huge.

I'd tell you to be careful, but I know that would just lead to insults and arguments about how you have no interest in being told to be careful. Good luck and please keep that young woman safe.

Thanks so much for the info I will keep following and we now have 55lbs thrust minn kotas that get us up to 5-6 mph I know that's way to fast for trolling but cant wait to give these a try on the lake.
    Last edited by bevardjesse; 04-10-2016 at 01:01 PM.

Ah... I remember you now. Sorry I didn't make the connection from last year's post.

Yes. In fact I was drifting across Carpenter's Point 2 weeks ago and there were a ton of fish stacked in there! Right off the point in about 11-15' FOW is a great spot. You would only be about 100' from shore. That Western end is good for what you are doing. And yes, be careful. I was out last week around the East side of Mouse Island and there were 2 kayaks out there trolling. One was green. It was VERY difficult to see it and I just happen to notice it when I got close to him. I slowed way down as not to swamp him, but not all boats will see you and the wake off of one of my boats is more than enough to roll one of those.

-Matt

Heading to Kelley's Friday thru Sunday. I'll try to get you a report before Sunday Jesse. This will be my first trip with my own boat so I would also appreciate any advice I can get!