Cold Weather Advice for Motors Cold Weather Advice for Motors Cold Weather Advice for Motors Cold Weather Advice for Motors

Default Cold Weather Advice for Motors

Looks like some cold low's coming in the next week or so. For those of us who have dumped our boats in already, what is everyone's opinion on the best way to keep the motors warm is we don't live close? Light bulb? Blanket?

Trying to not have to totally winterize the boat again. I have a Volvo 5.0FL I/O. I guess I could drain the manifold and block so that's fairly easy.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Steuben1 View Post
    Looks like some cold low's coming in the next week or so. For those of us who have dumped our boats in already, what is everyone's opinion on the best way to keep the motors warm is we don't live close? Light bulb? Blanket?

Trying to not have to totally winterize the boat again. I have a Volvo 5.0FL I/O. I guess I could drain the manifold and block so that's fairly easy.

Any ideas?

Thank you!
    If your boat is in the water I doubt very much that you have to worry about it. The water the boat is setting in is 40+ degrees and that temp will transfer into the motor well thru the hull. Heat rises and the motor box will retain enough of that heat that it will remain above freezing in an overnight situation. While the boat is in the water most Inboards and I/O' are at least partly below the exterior waterline surrounding at least part of the motor well with 40 degree temps. After looking at the next 15 days of highs and lows it appears that there will only be 4 days below freezing and only 2 of those are below 30 and they will be in the upper 20's. If I had my boat in the water I would not be the least bit concerned.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USOH0783:1:US
    Last edited by wakina; 04-01-2016 at 10:16 AM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    If your boat is in the water I doubt very much that you have to worry about it. The water the boat is setting in is 40+ degrees and that temp will transfer into the motor well thru the hull. Heat rises and the motor box will retain enough of that heat that it will remain above freezing in an overnight situation. While the boat is in the water most Inboards and I/O' are at least partly below the exterior waterline surrounding at least part of the motor well with 40 degree temps. After looking at the next 15 days of highs and lows it appears that there will only be 4 days below freezing and only 2 of those are below 30 and they will be in the upper 20's. If I had my boat in the water I would not be the least bit concerned.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USOH0783:1:US
    I have seen dipstick heaters occasionally over the years mostly used for diesel engines. I would think an electric blanket or heating pan would do the trick too as long as it stayed away from moisture. Garden supply stores have heating pads for starting seedlings. One of those old style cage type trouble lights up next to the block would work but they can melt things if they touch them to long.

They make dipstick heaters..
    Last edited by pimplepounder; 04-01-2016 at 12:03 PM. Reason: miss-spelling
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

My boat is parked in the driveway. I drain the all the water from the engine and put a 75 watt shop light under the block in the hull. So far it seems to work for me.

I put a 100 watt light bulb under the hatch near the block just to be safe never had a problem

Quote Originally Posted by drift fisher View Post
    I put a 100 watt light bulb under the hatch near the block just to be safe never had a problem
    When I had an I/0

I agree with wakita. But if you are worried just put a work lamp with a 75 watt bulb down under the engine hatch and you will be just fine. I have a frost switch that turns the power on once it goes below 38 degrees. So that may be something you may look into.

I have a Yahama and a kicker that have flush connections on the side of the engine I drain them for winter storage. I left my motors down wondering if I should disconnect and drain won't use the boat till Fri ???? Boat is sitting in water at Catawba Is

I think that the best thing to do is just go trolling while the temps are below freezing. This will keep your engine nice and warm and keep it from freezing.

On a serious note though, my boat is in the water at Channel Grove and I'm not worried about the temps this week being that they are very mild and few nights below freezing.

-Matt

Hi all, I'm brand new to walleye.com and a first time "Lake Erie" size boat owner this year over at West Harbor marina. I was going to launch this Friday 4/8 but was a bit worried about the temps as well. I was looking up costs of heaters and wasn't sure the price was worth it when I could just wait a couple more weeks. Will a work light be enough to protect against the 28-32 degree temps? Or should I just wait it out?

-Dave