Bottom Paint Bottom Paint Bottom Paint Bottom Paint

Thread: Bottom Paint

Default Bottom Paint

My first year of not trailering and keeping the boat in the water all season.
    Just pulled the boat and pressure washed the mess off the bottom. The paint seemed to come off with it.
    I may need some guidance on how to do it or who can do it. And what the average cost is.
    Anyone have words of wisdom for a newbie ?

-Hoss
    Rookie Perch fisher, veteran Perch eater.

It's not uncommon for the paint to come off under high pressure washing. Did you use a hard epoxy based paint or ablative paint-which slowly washes off as the season goes on?
    Like any other paint job it comes down to the prep work. I used to scrape, sand, and feather edge the bare spots before repainting. It still comes off. Now I just pressure wash the bottom in the spring before repainting. It's 10x easier and works out better for me.
    I use a ablative paint made by Blue Water Marine Paint-it's slightly cheaper and works great.
    Epoxy paint is supposed to last one season and ablative paint works year after year as long as you have a decent build up of paint on the hull. I give the bottom 1 coat every spring.

Boat is new to me this year. I would say it was not an epoxy based paint. It was blue in color and not a smooth finish like I would think an epoxy would be.
    I suppose I should take it somewhere and have it done. I am not sure how I'd get it off the trailer and onto stands.

Anyone know about how much it costs to have done or who does it ?

I had my 30ft sportcraft painted by Offshore Performance 4 yrs ago, it was $10 per foot labor and $100 for materials. Total was $400.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds very reasonable to me. Where are they located ?

they are located across the road from Wild Wings on Rt2 west of Port Clinton

Default costs

what spoonfeeder is quoting is just a paint job. No prep. sounds like your boat may need to be completely stripped, prepped and painted. if you are keeping in the water all season I would suggest barrier coat and then bottom paint. I re-did my boat last year. 278 Baha. Paid about $500 for someone to media blast the bottom a prep. I had about $500 in paint and barrier coat. Put on 3 coats of barrier coat and 2 coats of bottom paint myself. very time consuming process. to have it all done by a reputable place runs about $100 a foot.

Offshore did mine three years ago (30'). Completely stripped and applied VZ17. I had a recoat done by them this year for $700. They said it doesn't last any longer than three years but I've talked to others that say when properly applied it will last longer. Meaning applying three coats instead of one.

Thanks for the info. Looks like Offshore is the place to call.