Making / rebuilding worn harness' Making / rebuilding worn harness' Making / rebuilding worn harness' Making / rebuilding worn harness'
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Making / rebuilding worn harness'

After fishing last weekend I noticed that some of my work harness' either need to go to the trash or be rebuilt. I think I am going to RE tie them and I was wondering what size/style/brand of hooks everyone prefers as well as what type/ test of line to use? I found a good video on YouTube demonstrating how to snell the hooks so I am ok there. Also, has anyone ever used the mono stinger from a jig as the "3rd" hook on a harness? We had some pull backs with only half a worm left and I'm thinking one more hook at the end of the worm might have got the fish. Thanks.

I use mostly #2 and #1 dropshot hooks. I use #17 test mono as it lays out straighter and you will get less harness twisting. If you stick with 10 or 12lb test you can us smaller hooks since to snell a lot of hooks the eyelet is not large enough to double 17 or 20lb test line thru. Yes, when required I will add one of my stinger hooks to make the rig a 3 hook harness but that is very rare. I'd rather figure out a better method staying with the 2 hook as that stinger just makes you take that little fish off every time, and you still have to replace the worm. Sometimes it works to put 1/2 to 1/3 of a crawler ( depending on size) on the front hook and put a 4 inch rubber worm on the back hook so it looks like one long worm, the trash fish typically don't like the rubber worm, they nip then let go but walleye will still engulf the whole thing.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Default Hooks

Any particular brand of hook? Thanks again for yet another VERY useful reply!

As far as brand, I don't stick to anyone brand, I look at the hooks and pick from the best available. I don't like the bronze hooks that a lot of folks like. They are cheaper but they also do not hold a good edge like a better quality hook. I spend a lot to get out there and fish and I'm not going cheap on one of the cheapest price items I use. But that's me.
    And so far last year and this year my spoon harnesses have out produced regular harnesses by ALOT! I haven't tried them yet east of west sister yet as last year I didn't need to go further east.

Can you post a picture of one of your spoon harnesses?

Thanks very much for posting the pics! I have never seen anything like that, do you tip them with a crawler and how do the pull? I'm guessing they pull true since you said they do better than just the spoon. I love trying new things, so I have to make some!

I put a crawler on em just like a harness, run them with about a 4 ft leader to an inline. I run these just like a harness, .8 to 1.8 mph. So far .9 to 1.2 seems best. Crawler harnesses on one side of the boat, these on the other side. Usually the first 9 to 10 fish come on the spoon harness and I'll end up leaving one harness out on a bouncer and everything else is spoon harness. I've tried a lot of other spoon harness combinations over the years and never had success like this. A friend who passed is the one who told me about putting the beads between the two the hooks and keeping the crawler close as possible to the spoon. I believe the crimps are plastic .043 or .046, I'd have to go look, I use #17 test mono. I've used coated cable in place of the mono but prefer the mono as the cable can get kinked. Just snell your hooks as you would for a crawler harness and crimp it to the spoon snap ring. I must have 40 or 50 set up. They store nicely, don't wear out like a regular harness from the blade spinning against the beads, best of all the walleye seem to love em. Oh and notice I have these in 3 sizes of spoons and they all work.
    Last edited by ebijack; 05-20-2013 at 04:20 AM.

Default Nice rigs

I'm diggin' those spoon harness rigs. Have you run them fast, over 2mph? Do these replace your spoons, replace your harness' or just fit a niche in-between?