Making / rebuilding worn harness' Making / rebuilding worn harness' Making / rebuilding worn harness' Making / rebuilding worn harness'
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Has anyone ever used fleurocarbon on any of their harnesses? I was using 17lb Trilene XT when we were up a few weeks ago and I went through about 15 harnesses per day. I'd like to try the fleurocarbon because it's supposed to be more abrasion resistant, but have no experience with it. I just want to know how hard it is to work with when snelling because it's apparently got higher memory than mono, and I don't want to switch from line wearing out to knots coming undone, just would like the harnesses to last a little longer so I don't end up rigging lines the whole time in between netting all the damn fish my old man is reeling in.

The walleye weren't damaging the line as much as the trash fish. Those damn white bass can have the same effect on mono as a chainsaw!

Also, Ebijack, thanks for all the advice on the spoon harnesses. I used several of them while we were there. They were picking up a lot of fish, but due to the line issues I didn't get much use out of them. I'm going to get some crimps before the trip later this month and hopefully that will make it easier to re-rig them on the water. Most of the fish I caught on them were on the first hook, so I can also see the value in getting that first hook as close as possible to the spoon.

A lot of guys like the flouro, I've tried at least 3 different brands and leader material. PIA for me. I have not experienced the problem your having with the #17 test mono.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Anyone ever try any circle hooks on their rigs? I'm thinking about trying a few of them to see if it helps on hookups. I was getting hooked up on nearly every fish that hit the lines off the boards, but the ones on the corners were only about 50% hookup rate and we lost a few fish after fighting them for a while.