Spoons and ? Spoons and ? Spoons and ? Spoons and ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spoons and ?

Exclamation Spoons and ?

Having a few extra spoons in favorite colors I was thinking of changing a few to a single hook or to the new-ish type "worm burners". I trolled a couple of the Gale Force setups but found them not any better than the spoons or harnesses, I have changed a few to the single siwash hooks for this year. I know from here there are those that do stick to spoons or harnesses but I am just looking for something that may change my luck just a little.

Gene

If you try the do it yourself spoon harness thing, be sure that you check that the spoon actually wobbles and flutters once the short harness and worm have been added. Some spoons become totally useless once the harness and worm are added, it kills the action, they just follow along with the back side of the spoon in the up position and drag along behind the jet like a surf board. The best spoons that I have found are the Wolverine Jr. Streaks for the do it yourself conversion to a spoon harness, even some of them act like a surf board after the conversion.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Default Spoons

Wakina, thanks for the heads up on the spoons. Just at a glance the Mi. Stingers
    and Gale Force spoons seem very similar, maybe I'll just let it ride and do 1 or 2and just use the Gale Force and Domkas. What is your take on the single hook as opposed to the trebles?

Gene

I have always used what came with the spoons which is almost always trebles, I have friends that have changed to the single hooks and about half of them liked them and stayed with them and the other half changed back to trebles, so I really think it is what the person likes and not the hooks themselves. People are always looking for something to blame or something to use as an excuse why a fish comes unbuttoned (me included) and this is probably the reason people change hooks.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Thanks again, what has me looking at the change was the loss at the boat prior to the netting. The nephews are the worst as to letting the line slack prior to it and its usually gone, but there have been wiser adults on board that do the same thing. I'll be sure not to change to many and I'll watch to determine if the change is worth the trouble.

Thanks again,
    Gene

Quote Originally Posted by BtweenShots View Post
    Thanks again, what has me looking at the change was the loss at the boat prior to the netting. The nephews are the worst as to letting the line slack prior to it and its usually gone, but there have been wiser adults on board that do the same thing. I'll be sure not to change to many and I'll watch to determine if the change is worth the trouble.

Thanks again,
    Gene
    It seems that was a common occurance last year, people who used harnesses also were complaining they were losing fish at the boat, some switched to single hooks on there harnesses and that corrected the problem but they then complained about fewer hookups vs pullbacks after changing to the one hook harnesses. So I think there is another under laying problem! I was losing way to many blades on my harnesses last year, the eyes were striking the blade and hanging on and at the boat open their mouth and the fish was gone and the blade would go flying as it was pulled out of the quick change clevis. I switch to the metal clevis and have not lost another blade that way since, but still lose fish right at the boat or just behind it, probably for the same reason.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Though I haven't had good enough success with the spoon harnesses to run many. I did switch all of mine to beaded chain to help with the flipping action of the spoons.

Default spoon n

Nickname for those is "Wormburner" I saw them a few years ago.
    Not sure who sold them commercially. I saw something form the upper midwest just like this, same concept.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Doesnt thundermist make a spoon like this? Havent used one, was wondering if anyone has used a thundermist spoon? would hate to spend the money to find out they dont run true, dont want to fight the lure all day long.Also ,this trolling thing is new to me, starting to outfit the boat/tackle.Can anyone give advice to brand, sizes, and colors of spoons. Would like to start buying a few. Thanks Mike

Here is the link where there are a few still available! I quit running spoon harnesses as they catch fish at about the same rate as a regular harness on good days, and found them to be just something else to store and take up space without any improvement on catch rate except on rare occasions.
    http://www.coldwatertackle.com/dream...r-walleye-rigs
    Last edited by wakina; 04-24-2012 at 08:35 AM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS