crawler harness crawler harness crawler harness crawler harness

Thread: crawler harness

Default crawler harness

hopefully i get some readers and feedback. Want to start making my own crawler harnesses so i have been watching some videos on line. Just curious what the majority of the erie walleye fishemen use? I.e. # test of leader # of hooks, any treble hooks etc..Thanks in advance for any info you can provide. Mike

I tie mine with 20lb test. If you go any less it will tangle when you cast it. I use 2 single #2 hooks or a single and a treble about 4" a part...I think I have that size on the hooks right...maybe #4's.

Greg

I mainly just drift fish with mine with bottom bouncers. I prefer a 3 single hook set-up, (you have to keep the hook buried in the crawler or you end up with a rig full of Zebras), putting the last hook right @ the end of the crawler. I like #2 & #4 blood hooks, #14lb- #20lb test is fine.

Default harnesses

Quote Originally Posted by twopugsforme View Post
    hopefully i get some readers and feedback. Want to start making my own crawler harnesses so i have been watching some videos on line. Just curious what the majority of the erie walleye fishemen use? I.e. # test of leader # of hooks, any treble hooks etc..Thanks in advance for any info you can provide. Mike
    I tie all my own rigs for myself and customers. I only use 17 lb Vanish (clear line). For casting rigs I make a 16 inch, single hook, single blade and 5 to 6 beads depending on the size of blade. For bottom bouncer rigs, I use a 2 hook rig with the same beads and similar blades, with some of the big #6 Indiana blades for the days it blows. I mostly use Mustad hooks, #4 and #6 , bronze and red color. Casting rigs , for hooks I just upsized to a 1/0 this year but late summer casting I will use some Mustad bronze sproat. The sproat hooks do a nice job for cast rigs. The bb rigs are generally 3-4ft long. There are alot of good blade styles out there but only a couple I really prefer over anything else. Just keep them sort of simple and quick change clevis because it may only take a different blade style or color to change the fishes attitude on biting. I do not use any treble hooks on my rigs, they can pick up trash to easy.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Default Harnesses

Mike, just my 2 bits worth in making harnesses has a nature of its own as well as those who have found just works for them or what they like. Myself I used hooks up and down the size scale they all work well. Skyys has settled on a 3 hook setup as I do. Length is usually about 3 ft. for bouncers and 5 ft. off divers. Bead are usually purchased at craft stores and spinners I purchase are usually at shops like
    olepetestackle.com and jannsnetcraft.com along with the quick change clevises. I have fun and relaxing moments trying to color coordinate colors. Have fun and tight lines on the things knowing it was your design.

Gene

Default hooks

I always use hooks with the eyelet turned in or away from the point.
    Look for sproat hooks.
    It makes tying the snell easy and it holds well.
    For single hook casting rigs, the eyelet should be relatively small to allow the head of the worm to slide over the eyelet.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

I use 15-17lb test Florocarbon line for my leaders (whatever is on sale) Viscious Line this season. I then make harnesses of each style usually in groups of 6-10 (more on my heavy landers). So I will make 6-10 with 2 octupus hooks #2 hooks, then I make 6-10 with a #2 Oct and a #6 Trebel hook, and then I will make 6-8 in the 3 hook model 2 #2 Oct and a #1 Live Bait (BPS) on the front end.

I like #5 & #6 blades and I run 7 beads with quick change clev's. I tie them off in 42"-60" lengths.

I only run my harnesse 1 time and then I remake them, they get the s**t kicked out of them believe it or not so I sit and watch Tigers or Red Wings games and tie up Blank Leaders and then after a few trips I will have a few dozen harnesses and I just slide the blanks thru the beads and clev's and blade and tie up everything and recycle the old leader...