What's the right way to winterize ??? What's the right way to winterize ??? What's the right way to winterize ??? What's the right way to winterize ???
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What's the right way to winterize ???

This year totally sucked for me, poor fishing,but most of all,I had a overheating problem. I consider myself mechanically inclined, but this year my engine put me to the test. I pulled the thermostat,replaced with new one, no luck,next I pulled the risers,cleaned them out bolted them back on,still over heating!!! now I didn't mention the lower water pump in the out drive, because I replaced that last year, when my problem started. To make a long story short I ended up pulling the motor, heads were blocked solid with rust in the water jackets, the block was the same way. Needless to say it was time for a complete rebuild, which I did myself, new heads, acidwash the block, complete reman!! Now the reason I'm telling this story is becouse I was told that Just draining the water out is not a good idea, because over the winter the cast iron rusts and over the years you get more rust and soon you'r in my shoes. The marinia I use for parts is a merc distributor for the north east coast, they recommend filling the entire engine with RV antifreeze, so there is no air in the system to start the rust mode. What do you guys do? PAP from PA.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm interested to hear replies. I basically do what you are doing and just drain. Although I do dump antifreeze into the front of the hoses until. Get it coming out of the exhaust manifold drains. Then close them leaving it with whatever is in there. Same for the block.
    Rookie Perch fisher, veteran Perch eater.

Post Thanks / Like

First thing I do is drain the lake water out of my engine. Then I start it up while pumping RV antifreeze to the water inlet on the out drive. It will take in about 2.5 gallons by the time the thermostat opens and starts to spew antifreeze out the exhaust. I hit the carb with fogging oil and I'm done.
    I leave the block full of antifreeze during winter.
    Takes about 30 minutes.

Dont know if this is the right way or not, but I never have and problems...so it must be working! (knocking on wood!)
    Last edited by Bryan; 10-03-2011 at 04:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thaks for the info!!!

How do you pressurize the RV fluid so the lower unit pulles the fluid into the lower unit pump? Do you use the water muffs or what ? Any info would be great, just might get far enough to fire the old girl up this weekend !!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pap View Post
    How do you pressurize the RV fluid so the lower unit pulles the fluid into the lower unit pump? Do you use the water muffs or what ? Any info would be great, just might get far enough to fire the old girl up this weekend !!
    I use a bilge pump mounted in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket, alligator clips wired from the pump...just hook it to any battery.
    A length of hose from the bilge pump connected to the muff and you're in buisness!!

Hope this helps!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks bryan !!!

That makes total sence to me, I just couldn't figure out how to get the RV fliud into the lower unit under pressure, you are a blessing. Thank you, I had a long no fishing season, but it's all comming together now. The walleye will be in trouble next year!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Glad that I could help!

Post Thanks / Like

I will be building a setup. I've actually considered a tub big enough to lower the outdrive down in to and filling it with anti freeze. Then let my friends with boats come over and use it.
    Rookie Perch fisher, veteran Perch eater.

Post Thanks / Like

Default winterizing

There are lots of ways to get the job done and each boat may be different. I follow my Mercruiser repair manual for layup. Basically, they have you add fuel stabilizer, warm the engine and change the oil and filter. Then run the engine on the new oil until warm then fog the engine. Remove the spark plugs and fog the cylinders. Drain the engine block, exhaust headers, and power steering oil cooler. Close the drains and remove the thermostat. Fill the engine and exhaust headers (remove the hoses monetarily) with non-toxic antifreeze. Replace the thermostat with a new gasket. Check or change the gear lube in the lower unit. I have used this procedure the last couple of years without any problems. I really like seeing that the engine is full of antifreeze. The book describes all of this in more detail and if you are going to do your own maintenance it's really worth the money. Now I am ready to do mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Get'er done!

Thanks for all the input and ideas for the proper way to winterize, lord only knows I dont want to go through this BS. again, 13 hours to remove the motor, probably all weekend to do all the hook ups, then fire the old girl up, deal with the unexpected, test run her on a near buy lake then winterize, hopfully be done for the year. Thank you all for your help!!!!!