Lake Erie Lingo? Lake Erie Lingo? Lake Erie Lingo? Lake Erie Lingo?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    sig061 Guest

Default Lake Erie Lingo?

Need some help from some fellow anglers! I live in Akron, fish out of Port Clinton, and worst of all.. I have rotating days off. My days off go like this. Mon Tues, Tues Weds, Weds Thurs, Thurs Fri, Fri Sat Sun, Sat Sun Mon, then repeats. We work 6 days in a row & we all get two 3 day weekends, every couple of weeks. It's pert near impossible for me to schedule regular fishing trips with friends & family. Since the rest of the world has weekends off.. I strugle to find guys that can fish on a random Tuesday. I get enough trips in to enjoy it, but I struggle finding fish. Usually we drive up, spend the night, fish all day, & drive back home. It's very rare that I can fish a few days in a row & get a grasp on the fish. I was excited to find this forum, but it seems a little low on members & updates..

Question: can anyone explain the radio chatter lingo? When guys are hinting on locations.. what is the most common lingo? How do you decipher it? I've caught on to some of the nicknames, but any help is appreciated!

sig061 Guest

no replies yet..

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the serious fishing groups use cell phones. The regular chatter that you hear can be understood if you put 2 and 2 together - meaning that the longer you listen (day after day) you will find groups that will use the radio on a regular basis to discuss what they have going on. For the most part, there are 2 - 3 groups talking back and forth each day. Once you define their pattern, you will begin to sort things out better.

CB's are still used by a lot of charter captains because of the "noise" on the marine radio. Some of them also have difference frequency chips that you cannot tune into on their marine radios. I have such a setup. I am usually not on the radio very much. If anything, I get cell phone calls from the other captains that I know.

sig061 Guest

I know you are right.. I just want do disbelieve. I figured I throw the topic out there & see if anyone had any magic tricks!

Funny side note: I had an antenna problem on my radio for a long time and didn't know it. Tuns out that I could only hear people that were relatively close. When guys were doing well and talking about it, it seemed like I didn't have any problem finding them. Now that it's fixed & I can hear the whole damn lake.. I'm having a harder time finding them. Ironic anyway. I can finally hear and transmit, but lost my trick!