Lamprey  in  river Lamprey  in  river Lamprey  in  river Lamprey  in  river

Default Lamprey in river

Was in the maumee river yesterday ....snaged on to what i thought was fish...came up with a 22 inch lamprey...did not think they where that far in river..still got it at home in freezer now...any body seen this before ????
    Last edited by RUSS; 03-27-2010 at 11:29 AM.

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Default Maumee River Lamprey

Russ,

As a past ODW fisheries employee, here's what you need to do:

First, I have to ask, so don't get offended, but are you sure it's a lamprey? It's posible it could be something else, such as an eel or exotic speciies.

Second, call your county game officer and tell him what you think you have. Write down the date, time, and location of the catch, as he'll want that info. He may arrange to pick up your specimen so it can be taken to the fisheries biologists for confirmation, or at least come by to identify it. Here's the officer info for Lucas and Wood county, if you live in another county call the District Two office for your county officer info. If you get the officer's answering machine or voicemail, leave a message then call the District Office as they can reach him by radio. It's important to report this as soon as possible.

Lucas county - Kevin Newsome (419) 429-8388
    Wood county - Martin Baer (419) 429-8397
    District Two Office (Findlay) - (419) 424-5000

It's inportant that you report this catch, as the fisheries biologists need this kind of info to keep track of lamprey distribution, populations, and status.

Pretty neat to be able to be a part of the research and safeguarding of our fishing resources!

West Basin

Default Lamprey

Just got your message about the lamprey...yep it will b neat to b part of the study...i will be all over it now thanks too u..i got a call in right a way.. But seing that it is 9 30 at night i am sure they r in bed...i can tell u where and when it was for sure..it my fav spot so it hard to forget...and it def a lamprey...i have seen them before ..no affence taken ether...thanks 4 the info..may be i ll see u on the water..got any more ? About it or what going on ask.

Thanks again russ