Walleye fishing changes this season Walleye fishing changes this season Walleye fishing changes this season Walleye fishing changes this season
    Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Default Walleye fishing changes this season

While getting the facts on the "weeds" out in Lake Erie from ODW, I also asked about the Lake Erie fishery so far this year.

The small walleye fishermen are catching, the 14" to 17" fish from the average hatch of 2007, are growing quite well. Some of them should make the legal length this season, which is very good growth. The 20" to 26" fish from the 2003 hatch make up much of the larger fish caught.

The walleye fishing so far this summer has concentrated in the "triangle" area North and North-West of West Sister Island, out near the turnaround buoy. The rest of the Western Basin so far this summer hasn't seen much walleye fishing success. The Central Basin East of Vermillion is also doing well in some areas. For whatever reason the walleye in the Western Basin are staying out in the triangle area this summer. ODW doesn't know why, but they are not real surprised as no two years are the same, and this year just happens to be noticablly different from the last few years. How long this will be the case nobody knows. Those fishermen who adapt to the changes (try new or different methods, places, or times) will probably be the most successful.

White Bass populations and sizes have increased the last few years, this season included. At least if the walleye fishing is slow you can have some fun catching White Bass.

So for now the best fishing in the Western Basin is way out in the western end North of West Sister Island.

Good luck!

West

waterdog Guest

Default Good to know!

Great info and good to know. I have been catching walleye while fishing for perch. I put out a perch spreader and then fish with a may fly rig all while anchored. I caught 3 walleye yesterday doing this very thing and caught some nice perch too.