Boat control Boat control Boat control Boat control

Thread: Boat control

Default Boat control

I know several of you guys have larger boats so I'm asking for your advice. I have no problems handling my 17' Lund it stays pretty true while trolling with only occasional corrections. Due to the wind/waves I switched to a larger 21' Trophy but I can't seem to keep it straight. I even tried tying the steering wheel but it still wants to go one way or the other. I put one line out and I'm running back to correct the steering before I can even get the in-line board on. Trying to reel a fish in, remove the board and keep the boat straight is a challenge. Do you guys dedicate one person to just steer? Kind of hard as I mostly fish alone or with my wife and she mainly wants to do the catching, which i don't mind, but I have to take the board off (straighten boat) man the net (straighten boat)... Do you have or have knowledge of an auto pilot? Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default boat control

try to find a steering whell clamp it keeps the wheel form turning .
    the best way is to use a auto pilot . pretty pricey for a good one .
    i used to have a commercail boat and i made a spring clamp from a cheap clamp that wood workers use and attached to the right side of the wheel and mouted to a ram ball mount to the wall of the pilot house .
    i woud get the boat tracking and then just clamp the wheel . still need to adjust for wind and current . good luck

Blog Entries

Default This is a common problem

On bigger boats you almost have to have a autopilot or dedicate someone to steering. Not only that but they have to be able to keep a line! When i troll we rotate because i run net (most seem to have prob running net when trolling they wanna stab at them instead of dragging fish into net. Autopilots are expensive and if you dont troll all the time hard to justify
    Captain Dave