Canada Canada Canada Canada

Thread: Canada

Question Canada

I run out of Cawatba and want to fish Canada this year as weather permits. I'm having trouble finding out what is the best way to buy liscenses, the law regarding going over and fishing if I dont dock and if I do. Does anyone have any info they could share or know where I can find this information?

Default Canada

I've not fished Canada but Spoontang fishes Canada quite a bit. He is out of town this weekend but I'm sure he'll reply when he gets back.

Reelcranky Guest

You can buy your Canadian license at Pelee Island at the marinas or you can buy one over the phone from the (MNR) and they will mail it to you. They say it takes 3-4 weeks by mail but reports on Michigan Sportsman say they that recieved their license in 1-2 weeks by mail. Most of the bait shops/marinas want cash not a credit card when you buy your license. If you dock you must check in at Customs if you do not dock and are only fishing in Canadian waters you do not need to check in at customs I hope this helps

Default Canadian license

I bought mine on Pelee last year but it's not easy. On the West side, about 1/2 way up the island is where the ferry's pull in - I had to beach my boat and run to the restaurant across the street to buy mine - cash and they charged more. This year, got mine in a little over a week.

Just call this # and it's really easy to get your license mailed to you:
    Phone number is 1-800-667-1940 and ask to speak to an agent.

I fished July 18th last year on the NW corner and did well. Where do you fish over by Pelee? I would like to go earlier this year but not sure if I should fish the same area or if the eye's are a little closer - that was a long ride out in my small boat!!

Reelcranky Guest

The marina on the south side of Pelee sells the license right at the dock store might be easier than the west dock. If you not in a hurry then call and have it mailed to you. The north east corner of Pelee is very good in late may thru july. Then swing around Point Pelee to Wheatley and catch both eyes and steelhead great fishing from July thru August and its very common to limit on both. Thanks spoontang I meant the south dock as well!
    Last edited by Reelcranky; 05-06-2009 at 04:48 AM.

I used to buy mine at South Dock (Dick's Marina in South bay), Now they sell single day. Last time I purchased a full season license from the North Dock (Scudders marina) I had to take a cab to a general goods store. West Dock you can pull in, tie up and just across the street at a pub you can purchase any license you need. I would advise a mail/phone purchase if you have a few days to wait. It is very, very worth while. And Wheatley is steelhead heaven from July-August. The eyes follow the bait in there as well.