Trolling vrs Jigging Trolling vrs Jigging Trolling vrs Jigging Trolling vrs Jigging
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Big Daddy Guest

Default Trolling vrs Jigging

I am planning a trip April 13-20, the guys I go with like to Jig, ( Meat fishing) I am into trolling more. We are used to Saginaw Bay and as you may know have to go out quite a ways to get into fish there. I understand Weather is a factor in April and any other time for that matter, but how far out from Turtle Creek do you need to go? any way pts would be nice but that may be asking a little much.

fbcoachfisherman Guest

Hello Big Daddy,

To jig at that time you won't have to go far at all. You may only have to go a mile or less. To troll you will need to go farther. Most guys troll North of the reefs. A can to D can and the water to the north of that line is very popular for big fish. I would say 5 to 8 mile runs for trolling. Obviously that is a very general idea. If you go out of Fenwick marina which I do, straight out 4 to 5 miles is A can. To the east from there is D can. Sometimes guys will troll a line from D to E, F, etc.. North of Niagra reef (D can area) is about an 8 mile run from Fenwick on a NE heading. It is very popular for the trollers. Much deeper water than the reefs.

Big Daddy Guest

I certainly appreciate the advise fbcoachfisherman.

Post Thanks / Like

Default B to C Can

If Your going to troll and wanna get hogs. Troll between B and C can with deep diving Reef Runners, Rattlin Rouges, or Thundersticks on inline boards.
    That about a 4 1/2 mile run to start your line. I fish out of Wild Wings so its almost the same distance. Headin up the 9th for the first time this year, hopefully the boats in when I get there. Remember take a picture of them big fat females and put em back! There no good to eat anyway too much MURCURY.
    Good luck