mud mud mud mud
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mud

eyeman1975 Guest

Default mud

how long does it typically take for the mud to clear out? just by looking on the sat. imagery seems to still be muddy.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Dont matter when its right

If ya let water clarity cloud your mind you will never fish in March or early April. That's a mistake!!!!!! The bottom foot or 2 of water is cold, clean, and moving with current. Find an active bed and hammer it. Lock it into your GPS whether MOB and remember the number or load it correctly. It is imparative to drift a small bed multiple times and catch fish within a very restricted area ( i.e. 20 yards). Find'em, Hit'em,m and HAMMMER that school. The long drift days are for beer drinking. After you hammer your 6 jacks! Too cold to mess around in March.

Good Luck and Good Fishing

eyeman1975 Guest

ok thanks jiginitis that is very helpful info.

Post Thanks / Like

Could I get someone to please post the website for the image of the lake. Thanks in advance...........spoon

Post Thanks / Like

Default photos

See my post from 3/17/09 on page 2 of this forum. Satellite Photo's.....

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Baha

hoops Guest

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the daily bag limit four until May 1st?

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by spoontang View Post
    Could I get someone to please post the website for the image of the lake. Thanks in advance...........spoon
    ha spoony how is the fishing out there i dont think my father and i will be out for that trip i would love to come out and jig for themgaint eyes that would be awsome to have a 10 lbder hit jigging i have had about 3-4 lbs here on my like but that wouldnt be any thing biggest i have had was a 5 lbs 20"

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jig- I wouldn't know. I pulled up the image and it looked like chocolate milk. No way was I heading out there......... I am going out on a 30 hour trip on the Gulf of Mexico for swords, grouper, amberjack and whatever else I can catch on the 5th/6th. Did you have a good winter Jig? Did you get into anything fun?

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default muddy water and satilite web site

Yep, with very little vegatation ground cover and typical spring rains, the tributaries of Lake Erie and Lake St. Clair (Thames, Maumee, Sandusky, and smaller ones) pump a lot on "muddy" water into Lake Erie (it's actually mostly very small clay particles from the clay-based soils of Ohio, southern Michigan, and southern Ontario). Thanks to the region's typical farming practices, clay/silt runnoff is very heavy. Maumee Bay and the nearer areas of Lake Erie are nothing like they used to be pre-1820's or so.

Yes, all the way up through most of June there is a thermocline (a transition line between water layers of different temperatures) in the Western Basin of Lake Erie. As the warmer and lighter river waters enter the colder and denser Lake waters, they displace and push over top of the colder, heavier Lake water. The farther you go from the river source, the more thermocline you'll find.

In early spring (iceout through April) the thermocline will vary from a few feet below the surface to about half way down to the bottom. In the reef areas and deeper areas off them the colder lower level water is often more clear than the upper (surface) layer, but not always, sometimes the opposite is true due to winds that create currents stirring up the bottom silt/clay.

As the season progresses, the thermocline moves both vertically (as the river waters push it eastward) and horizontially (as the water column warms up). I've personally seen numerous thermoclines scuba diving Lake Erie. At times they are pretty amazing, the transition from warm to cold being only a few inches, and I've seen clarity differences that look like there is a sheet of glass searating the two layers.

So yes, it happens that at times the fish are going to be in one layer or the other, but they may not be there for the reasons some fisherman think (because the water is clearer, or colder, or the presence of or lack of currents). The only way (other than years of experience) to really tell what's down there is to use a drop-over camera and check for clarity.

NOAA satilight (sp?) web site: http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/mod...egion=e&page=1

West Basin