Article: Clear Coat Options for Painting Baits Article: Clear Coat Options for Painting Baits Article: Clear Coat Options for Painting Baits Article: Clear Coat Options for Painting Baits

Default Article: Clear Coat Options for Painting Baits

Article: Clear-coat options & tips for custom baits
    by Mike Schlimgen March 30, 2022

In my previous article, I covered some things I have learned about selecting lure blanks and how important it is to start with a decent blank. In this article, I will cover the other end of the process, which is determining what type of clear coat to use for your lures and the pros and cons of each option (from my perspective).

If you have ever painted a crankbait, or almost anything for that matter, then you know that it doesn't look right until you have applied some type of clear coating over the top of the paint. Prior to that step, it will have no depth to the finish. If you used flat or satin paints, then it will also look dull or chalky without any shine or gloss. When I first started making custom crankbaits for my own use, I would spray them with clear lacquer and call it a day. The lacquer made them look decent, yet still lacked depth, and most importantly, durability. After using them for a trip or two, they looked horrible and were covered in scratches, chips and hook marks, etc.

2-Part Epoxy:

That's when I decided that I needed something better, yet I wasn't sure which direction to go. My first thought was 2-part epoxy, however, that only narrowed things slightly. It turns out that there are many different brands and types of 2-part epoxy, and some are better suited to making lures than others. Some are designed to cure very quickly, while others are designed to have longer work times. Some are very clear, while others are cloudy to colored. Some brands start out clear, yet tend to yellow over time, especially when exposed to direct sunlight, which is obviously common with fishing lures. I needed some guidance from others who had been down that road before, therefore, where should I look? As with most topics, the answer was pretty obvious...Google it! However, what I got back was everyone's opinion and I wanted something a little more fact based. I found a great article that tested a bunch of clear epoxies over a very long period and they show which ones stay clear and which ones turned yellow.

Here's a link to the full article: Article: Clear-coat options & tips for custom baits
    – Slimshady Customs

I cover alternatives to epoxy, how to hold the baits while applying it, dipping vs brushing, cure times, durability, etc.

Cheers!
    Last edited by slimshady; 03-31-2022 at 05:22 PM.
    https://slimshadycustoms.com/ Slimshady Customs - Custom Painted Crankbaits & Blanks. (Bandit Style Deep-Divers and other various crankbaits)