Worm Harness Worm Harness Worm Harness Worm Harness

Thread: Worm Harness

Default Worm Harness

Is there any particular bead colors and combination of that work best for crawler harness fishing on Lake Erie? We make our own and would appreciate any info that would liked to be shared with fellow fisherman.

Rich B.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_B View Post
    Is there any particular bead colors and combination of that work best for crawler harness fishing on Lake Erie? We make our own and would appreciate any info that would liked to be shared with fellow fisherman.

Rich B.
    Everyone is going to have an opinion, some more informed, some less informed. Consider this opinion to be less informed.

Be that as it may, unless the bite is really off, it's all about the crawler not the harness. Colors can make a difference when they are not actively feeding, but when they are, it makes very little if any difference.

Walleye and Saugeye both in my experience tend to like Chartreuse and Purple. Other than that, I would stick with the norm, dirty water, more flash more color, gold over silver. Clear water, silver over gold, less flash, more muted/natural colors. Also larger blades in dirty water.

From what I have been told, and experienced on a limited basis, dirty water on Erie means the fish will be in a negative eating pattern, clear water means they will be more turned on. If you can, move to cleaner water.

All these are generalizations from one who has not fished Erie very much, but Walleye are Walleye, for the most part generalizations will hold true universally.

My experience has been fishing off the head boats out of Port Clinton so I've seen and tried a lot of combinations. My girlfriend always uses green beads and every time I go off and try something new on a slow day she'd get one on gold blade/ green beads. The ones I've tied the last couple years have been 2 red, 5 green and 2 more red on the back. In my research lately I've found that red is not even visible at the 25-33 ft depths we're often fishing (supposedly). I'm also going to attempt a new rig, replacing the beads all together with something else a little fatter, hoping for a bigger target.