What is the Recommended Leader Length on Crawler Harnesses for Open Water Trolling on What is the Recommended Leader Length on Crawler Harnesses for Open Water Trolling on What is the Recommended Leader Length on Crawler Harnesses for Open Water Trolling on What is the Recommended Leader Length on Crawler Harnesses for Open Water Trolling on

Default What is the Recommended Leader Length on Crawler Harnesses for Open Water Trolling on

I am getting ready to tie my own crawler harnesses and would like to get others opinion on recommended leader length for open water trolling on Lake Erie with jets and dipsys.

Would it be okay to make the harnesses 12” long then add an additional leader between the harness and diving planer or is it better to eliminate the extra leader and make the harnesses longer.

I plan on using 30lb. test Yo Zuri Hybrid with VMC size 2/0 octopus hooks and # 5 colorado blades.

Default lenght

Quote Originally Posted by burky View Post
    I am getting ready to tie my own crawler harnesses and would like to get others opinion on recommended leader length for open water trolling on Lake Erie with jets and dipsys.

Would it be okay to make the harnesses 12” long then add an additional leader between the harness and diving planer or is it better to eliminate the extra leader and make the harnesses longer.

I plan on using 30lb. test Yo Zuri Hybrid with VMC size 2/0 octopus hooks and # 5 colorado blades.
    A lot of the people use the short harness lenght with a leader between the harness and the diver. I use a leader between my spoon harness and diver. I try to keep mine in the 60 inch range for total lenght of leader and lure. I tie all of my blade harness lenghts at 60 inches, I really don't feel it hurts to run a leader as you decribed.

In the past i used 25# floro and tied my harnesses 4' i found that after all day trolling the shackle holding the blade would wear into the line causing it to snap . I switched to 45#steel leader line and clevises 20" long and this works great . This was a problem that i had does not mean that you will have this problem but keep in mind of line wear.
    BURNIN DAYLIGHT