Sat walleye reports Sat walleye reports Sat walleye reports Sat walleye reports
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Wakina,

I agree completely with you... except that I would like to assure you that 99% of the captains at Channel Grove are still top notch and I would go with almost any of them there. Please don't let one bad apple ruin your opinion. There are over 200 slips there and they are bound to have one or two that aren't the best. I am not a charter, I simply fun fish on my private boat so I have no stake in the charter business at Channel Grove, and I am not promoting any specific captain. But Channel Grove is still by far the premiere marina in the West end and please don't change your opinion on a single docker there.

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Madd Matt View Post
    Wakina,

I agree completely with you... except that I would like to assure you that 99% of the captains at Channel Grove are still top notch and I would go with almost any of them there. Please don't let one bad apple ruin your opinion. There are over 200 slips there and they are bound to have one or two that aren't the best. I am not a charter, I simply fun fish on my private boat so I have no stake in the charter business at Channel Grove, and I am not promoting any specific captain. But Channel Grove is still by far the premiere marina in the West end and please don't change your opinion on a single docker there.

-Matt

I know that Matt I just did not want to have to single out one particular Captain to avoid! Years ago there was another charter captain there that did not know crap about walleye fishing, yet he would book his trips and then complain when no one would help him. Same old thing but fortunately there was no internet to spread his BS. There was also another one in there that felt he owned certain humps on the East Side of Pelee. We only had Loran-C back then but he would accuse people of getting the coordinates off of his unit if they would happen to be on HIS SPOT.

There is an old saying that goes way back and applies to just about anything that requires skill or knowledge at the professional level. This does not apply to the average recreational fisherman, but should apply to anyone who takes people for hire to catch fish. If you gonna need help and know that before you leave the dock then maybe you should stay on the porch in the first place. There is nothing wrong with developing a network of friends to help you out on those certain blah days that happen to all of us. But one should not be taking people fishing for a fee if they require help almost every time they leave the dock!
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Quote Originally Posted by Greatwhitehunter View Post
    Gesh fellows cant we get along? There are plenty of fish for everyone. You should feel lucky just to be able to fish such a great fishery and enjoy the Lake!!!
    It is not about the fishing! It is about Honesty and integrity, Charter Captains and Guides are supposed to have both as well as as a good sense of humor. They charge a fee to take people fishing and they should be able to produce some fish on their own. There in lies the problem, chasing ambulances does not a good injury lawyer make. Obviously you have never been burn't or lost money to one of these outfits that have no scruples. Drop 5 or 6 hundred bucks on one of these guys and you would feel differently. It reflects badly on all of the honest hardworking Charter Captains that do not rely on others to find their fish for them. It also gives their home Marina a Black eye so to speak.

I personally would not like to be guided by a Charter Captain guide servce that has to be guided itself. One may as well just hire the other guy in the first place. But alas you have no way of knowing that so that is why this dirty laundry has to be aired out again. It is for everybodys benefit to know who is honest and hard working and those who just want to tag along on the hard workers coat tails while pretending to be professionals.
    Last edited by wakina; 05-18-2015 at 12:53 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

let me just say that skipper 9 not only responded to a request for information about his custom perch rigs. He also set one to me so I could tie my own.. A great help for a new perch fisherman. THANK YOU.. PLEASE lets keep this site ***** free and hope that the guys all keep posting informative reports..

I grew up on the western basin driftin / castin erie dearies back when the limit was 10. Wasn't really hard to find the fish back then, pick a spot,start your drift, cast out count to 10 (remember the count down method) start catching fish when that shuts down make another drift,and repeat. That worked or quite awhile. Then came the zebra muscles, cleaner water and tougher fishing. Not as many guys still runnin boats for hire as there were back then. The guys who are left are working there ass off to put people on fish. I witnessed capt sean from EYEHUNTER put 400.00 in gas in the boat after a trip that they charged 550.00 for. They fished hard all day to produce fish, not makin much when u figure in the cost of everything else. That is what its all about, givin all u got to make someone happy. These guys ( jim, sean, eric ) are top notch people who run a top notch business. They are also very personable people ( theys guys are a roit ) catching fish is a bonus. They are willing to share all they know about what they are doing ( no secrets here) just fishin. You want to know just ask, they will not only tell u why but show u how. When you can learn something and have fun at the same time that makes for a good time. FIRST CLASS speaks for itself no need to brag.

Wow ! Not touching this one. I believe in Karma, Honesty and Integrity. Drop by my dock Wakina , I will be there every weekend thru mid August so far.
    "If you are always relying on someone for something, you will never become Self Reliant " from Sig Hansen of the F/V Northwestern.
    This is very true.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

In Jim I trust. Having fished multiple times with Jim, Erik,Shawn and DJ, I've seen how generous they are helping others get on a working program. I have never shyed away from recommending them to friends and business associates. If Jim say's he's being tailpiped then he's being tailedpiped. End of story.

I want everyone to know that I enjoy helping the average fisherman get on the water with equipment and techniques that work. There is nothing wrong with using the informatiom that is posted on this site so long as it is truthful and given in good spirit, also there is nothing wrong with asking for help if you are struggling, whether that is on this site or VHF radio while on the water.

I cannot stand those who would post false information to put a feather in their dunce cap and then laugh at those who followed their advice. I don't know which is worse those who post false reports just for laughs or those who post false reports to promote their business and or to enrich themselves, in the end they both cost people money that relied on them for truthful information.

I don't get to fish as often as I would like to as I have a commitment to my 92 year old Mother who started having issues last year! Since she can still get around (walk) and needs only a helping hand with her daily activities (meals and medicines and financial), so instead of shipping her off to a nursing home I/we my wife and I decided to move her in with us and look after her for as long as it is feasibly possible.

With that being said when I do get out fishing I do it on my own, I do listen to the radio and do help now and then if asked. I have never followed anybody around and have never moved to another location unless I was working with a few others in my group of friends, some of which I know only from here and have never had the opportunity to shake their hand. I just find it more rewarding to be independentnt and not have someone else to blame if things go south for the day.

I know the feeling of being shadowed and do not like it. Although I am no longer a Captain I had my day as a Charter Captain and that is why I feel the way that I do. I had 2 different people come to me and ask me why I followed their Charter Captain of choice and I asked them how I could be following them if I was in the lead! It just goes to show you how low the unscrupulous Charter Captains can be. He left me or another Captain lead him to the fish then he would tell his clients that I or the other Captains were the one who was shadowing. I finally called this guy out right in front of his clients in order to clear the air so to speak.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

While I don't enjoy the fighting, I think it's good to call out the guys that deserve it. It's the only way common folk like me can know who to trust. Anyway thanks to everyone for teaching me so much.

Blog Entries

Nothing of value in this set of posts to the average fisherman just looking for good old fashion fishing reports and helpful advice. I'm moving this thread (and all others like it) to the "Outdoors Lounge" forum. This is a more appropriate site for this type of bar room chit chat. No Bar Room Brawls though, please.