Trolling Trolling Trolling Trolling
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling

Default Trolling

I believe it is time to give this trolling thing a shot. My problem is that I am unable to get my speed below 3.5mph. After talking with other folks, I believe a prop change will be best for me. I have a Trophy 1952 with the four banger. I tryed the bags already and with the small amount of fishing room I do have...pain in the butt. I do not mind losing top end speed as it is definitely not a race boat. But the way it is set up now, it handles the lake very well for it's size. Any thoughts, suggestions...
    Thanks

Default Trolling

At times I fish with a few others and 2 of them are using the Happy Troller plates on 25 and 26 ft. boats. One used bags until last year when he changed over to it after a couple of trips his bags ended up in a burn barrel .

Gene

you can get the easy troller for about 105.00 plus shipping.
    sherman
    Last edited by sherman51; 05-30-2012 at 09:05 AM.

Thank you gentlemen and Good Luck this year!

Default bags

Been using trolling bags for years. Tie them off correctly and it should get you down to 1.2 . They come in various sizes. Get two of the same with line on each end. Best bet without adding anything to the engine. I troll during the summer and drag two of these all day. Keeps a 30ft Sportcraft at 2.5 that runs about 4 or so otherwise. The other option is a 9.9 horse 4 cycle kicker beside your big engine for fuel saving.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

you can find the easy troller at boatersoutlet.com for 99.00 for just the trolling plate. if you want the one with the hydrofoils they cost alittle more. i use to use the happy troller but i forgot to raise the plate after trolling, and it bent the plate back so far it wouldnt slow us down. i got it bent back down by putting it under my old motorhome and setting a 10 ton bottle jack on it and jacking the motorhome up.

then i seen the easy troller. it has the bottom half hinged and spring loaded. so if you forget to raise it up it doesnt bend like the happy troller, it just flips up on the hinges then comes back down when you back off the gas. and i am getting on up there in years, so i am forgetful. and i forgot to raise the easy troller once. i think it might have bent the plate alittle but not enough that it didnt still work.

i tried the bags once and just didnt like the ones i had. they did slow me down but was a pain getting on the bow to put them out and bring them back in. i have a open bow boat now, and i found a nice set of bags this july, so i am going to give them one more try. but i think i may end up using my easy troller plate. the only reason i am even going to try the bags is alot of guys say you have better boat control with the bags. and im thinking with the open bow boat it wont be that big of a deal to put them out and bring them back in. and im hoping the bags will keep the boat from speeding up so much when trolling with the waves in rough water.

but if you go with the plate the easy troller is much better than the happy troller. the time i bent my happy troller it ended our fishing trip. when i took off with the easy troller still down we was able to keep trolling. just my opinion. let us know what you decide and how it works out for you.
    sherman

"im thinking with the open bow boat it wont be that big of a deal to put them out and bring them back in"
    Once you figure out where you want the bags to ride in the water by adjusting the lead rope length, you tie a smaller rope to the tail end of the bag ( if it doesn't have one) and tie that rope off aft of your cabin area, with plenty of slack, then retrevial is easy as is setting the bags, you never have to go up front at all, just toss the bags over the side, and if set up correctly, both the forward and rear retrevial ropes doen't even have to be untied if that makes sense. Trolling in really big waves, bags do help with the surging.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Quote Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
    "im thinking with the open bow boat it wont be that big of a deal to put them out and bring them back in"
    Once you figure out where you want the bags to ride in the water by adjusting the lead rope length, you tie a smaller rope to the tail end of the bag ( if it doesn't have one) and tie that rope off aft of your cabin area, with plenty of slack, then retrevial is easy as is setting the bags, you never have to go up front at all, just toss the bags over the side, and if set up correctly, both the forward and rear retrevial ropes doen't even have to be untied if that makes sense. Trolling in really big waves, bags do help with the surging.
    you put down just what i was thinking. i went out on a charter this year, and he used bags with his open bow boat. he just pulled the bags in with the rear rope and placed them down in the side of the boat. and i found a good set of trolling bags in the road up at geneva this year, they have the rope at both ends. but i think i can just tie them to my front cleats and just leave them tied off. but i really want to see if it improves the handling of the boat.

i do love my easy troller plate. but with the prop wash hitting the plate it may be hindering the steering some. with the bags the boat might just respond better when you turn the wheel. i,ll find out for sure next july when i go to geneva fishing. and if it slows the boat when the waves hits us from the rear i can loosen up my divers just alittle. the way it is now if you run the divers to loose then you get alot of false releases. so we tighten them down.

i dont worry so much about the divers tripping when a fish hits, because i use the lite bite slide divers. i have them set where even a white perch will usely trip the diver. but if the front of the diver is tight it makes it a pain sometimes to get them to trip from the boat. anything that makes fishing more fun and less trouble is for me. so i really look forward to trying the bags next year. and i will still have my easy troller on the outdrive just incase i dont like the bags. and i found the bags so they didnt cost me anything. next year i,ll post which i like the best. as i am a diehard easy troller, if i switch to the bags you,ll know they work good.
    sherman

wanted to reply to the post about the trolling speed being to fast,I am on social security and money is tight for me,but i saved enough to buy the yamaha t 9.9 and use it as a kicker and if ever you do that you will not believe these engines and how economical they are,honestly without it i dont think i could aford to fish much.i can troll all day on 3 gallons,and i can run .8 to 6 so it pushes my 21ft any speed needed for any type of fish including musky,i know this motor will pay for itself in time ,and it allows me to fish alot more.now if i could learn how to catch those walleyes you guys keep saying you limit out on all the time,i am a diehard going out this week for two days -let the snow fly dont care ,just learning and watch this board allot.
    thanks for all the info and keep posting ther are many fisherman getting started who need help.
    Tom Hampton michigan

Other thing bage will give you is a more stable ride in chop. and easier to steer as the bow stays in the water.