reel calibration reel calibration reel calibration reel calibration
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default reel calibration

Anyone ever use a clip on line counter to calibrate by attaching to your line counter rod/reel set up? I did that and pulled out 50', then compared the difference between the 2 and got 2.5 ' difference and 3' difference on 2 rods spooled with 15# filled. Doubling and adding a couple feet because the reel dia. will get smaller as more line comes off that puts me at about 6-8 ft off of true line length. Does anyone see why this will not work? TIA! My line counters were 2.5 and 3' short of true.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: reel calibration

Good point! Back in the day we used to fish the Canyons a 100 miles offshore of Jersey for Yellowfin Tuna. The fall bite consisted of chunking mackerel, sardines, and butterfish at a determined depth. We used to use those Shakespeare clip on line counters, and they worked pretty well. They actually measure the line as it passes through counter, unlike our reels. I'm going to have to dig mine out and check the results. Good call.

Post Thanks / Like

A little older video and but you will get the point. I just want it to be the most accurate that I can manage. I would worry that the two line counters are different, but which one is really correct. The reels are typically done for a certain line diameter. This might take a moment but you will know where you are when you are done.

How To Calibrate Line Counter Reels Precision Trolling Data - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clay34 View Post
    A little older video and but you will get the point. I just want it to be the most accurate that I can manage. I would worry that the two line counters are different, but which one is really correct. The reels are typically done for a certain line diameter. This might take a moment but you will know where you are when you are done.

How To Calibrate Line Counter Reels Precision Trolling Data - YouTube
    The clip on is correct. The way clip ons work is different from the way reels work. No matter what the line diameter is, the clip on doesn't care, it is accurate. I did 3 reels in my kitchen sipping coffee in about 10 minutes. If you keep you bait above the fish(like you should) a couple feet won't make much of a difference. Here is a video to explain. Common Sense Reel Calibration - YouTube
    Last edited by whitecapper; 02-22-2024 at 06:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whitecapper View Post
    The clip on is correct. The way clip ons work is different from the way reels work. No matter what the line diameter is, the clip on doesn't care, it is accurate. I did 3 reels in my kitchen sipping coffee in about 10 minutes. If you keep you bait above the fish(like you should) a couple feet won't make much of a difference. Here is a video to explain. Common Sense Reel Calibration - YouTube
    I own 4 of the clip-on style Shakespeare line counters. Put one on your rod and run out a 100', then measure it. Then take your second clip-on and put it on the same rod and run out another 100'. How accurate are they and is one clip-on the same as the second clip-on? Do the test yourself. If you are happy with the results, life is good, if the variation is acceptable to you, things are still good. You will know. Good luck in your search for the best way to calibrate your reels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clay34 View Post
    I own 4 of the clip-on style Shakespeare line counters. Put one on your rod and run out a 100', then measure it. Then take your second clip-on and put it on the same rod and run out another 100'. How accurate are they and is one clip-on the same as the second clip-on? Do the test yourself. If you are happy with the results, life is good, if the variation is acceptable to you, things are still good. You will know. Good luck in your search for the best way to calibrate your reels.
    So the clipons measure the same. I put 2 on at the same time and pulled 50 ft. 2 on the same rod. The difference between a line counter reel and a clip on is the clip on measures line as it runs across a cylinder(?) which means line dia. has no effect. A line counter reel uses the guide bar as a measure. So the guide bar makes 1 pass, the reel says that is x amt of feet out, however if your dia is different then different amounts of line are coming off the reel in 1 pass.

If the reel manufacturers would not be so cheap and just incorporate a counter similar to what a clipon does the problem would be solved. I don't know why someone doesn't yet.
    Last edited by whitecapper; 02-22-2024 at 11:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whitecapper View Post
    So the clipons measure the same. I put 2 on at the same time and pulled 50 ft. 2 on the same rod. The difference between a line counter reel and a clip on is the clip on measures line as it runs across a cylinder(?) which means line dia. has no effect. A line counter reel uses the guide bar as a measure. So the guide bar makes 1 pass, the reel says that is x amt of feet out, however if your dia is different then different amounts of line are coming off the reel in 1 pass.

If the reel manufacturers would not be so cheap and just incorporate a counter similar to what a clipon does the problem would be solved. I don't know why someone doesn't yet.
    I'm with you totally on how the line counter reels work! Have a great year fishing !

Post Thanks / Like

Just a follow up, I have 2 Berkleys that measure the same but an old Shakespeare that is 1.4' short at 50 for what it is worth. It is short 1.4 every time. So I guess it pays to check the clip on first. Good luck to you also!