Equipment advice Equipment advice Equipment advice Equipment advice

Default Equipment advice

Hello all. New to forum and looking for some advice for equipment. Always fished spinning reels with a lot of guesswork. West end of Lake Erie. I have a 24 foot trip-toon and have had a ulterra trolling motor since last year. I'm starting to switch over to line counter reels and big planer boards next year. I went fishing with a buddies dad and liked the idea and technique with the big planers.

I was curious what is a good rod for trolling. Most of my stuff is medium light or less. I've read a ton of stuff and it gets overwhelming. Plan on trying cranks with snap weights and dipsy divers with spoons for the first time. Mostly fished cranks early spring and crawlers the rest of my life. Like I said never had a trolling motor. Just trying to broaden my arsenal a little bit. So any advice or tips are appreciated.
    Thanks

Default Re: Equipment advice

Can't go wrong with a 7' medium action rod for trolling. I've been using them for the past 21 years here on the Western Basin. No complaints.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Juls View Post
    Can't go wrong with a 7' medium action rod for trolling. I've been using them for the past 21 years here on the Western Basin. No complaints.
    Ok right on. I feel like that would suit me best. I'm not a huge fan of long rods and 8 foot plus just seems like too much. With a pontoon you can get fairly close to where you're trying to net and that's a lot of pole to maneuver.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead_SMF View Post
    Ok right on. I feel like that would suit me best. I'm not a huge fan of long rods and 8 foot plus just seems like too much. With a pontoon you can get fairly close to where you're trying to net and that's a lot of pole to maneuver.
    I tend to stick with the shortest rods I can, but i have a small boat and don't like reaching over the side to detach the Offshore planner boards. So I go with 7' rods.

Now I have had Med Light, med, and Med Heavy rods. My preference is of the following;

ML - use for trolling with Braid and can be used for Down Rigging with mono. The con is there is no backbone, but is forgiving when if you try to mussel in a fish.
    M - Use for Mono when trolling, can be used for Down Rigging, but cannot load the rod as much. Fair bit of backbone in the rod.
    MH - Use with Braid for Dipsies. All back bone rod. Not forgiving at all.

I tend to stick with Diawa rods, but I buy the "Wilderness" series at $20 a rod to keep it affordable to my budget. I normally pair with Diawa Accudepths line counters. Again an low cost real that I have never had issues with. I normally buy the rods from franks Great Outdoors at the Novi Sportsman show.

Now this is my opinion, and will differ than most.
    Call Sign "Double B"

1993 Lund Pro V
    1993 Mariner 75 Hp
    1988 Evinrude 4 Hp
    80 lb Min Kota Bow Mount
    Lowrance Hook 9 - 5" Bow
    1993 Shore Lander Trailer
    Motto "Old school is easier to maintain"

Ports of usage;
    Ranta Marina, Detroit River
    Colchester, Lake Erie
    Leamington, Lake Erie