Garmin Reactor 40 Kicker Garmin Reactor 40 Kicker Garmin Reactor 40 Kicker Garmin Reactor 40 Kicker

Default Garmin Reactor 40 Kicker

I was looking at installing garmin reactor 40 kicker with ghc 20 controller. I have Lowrance 12 ti2. I have talked to garmin three different times and got three different answers. Does anybody have a garmin reactor 40 kicker while using a Lowrance finder/chartplotter? What features do you lose by not running a Garmin finder/chartplotter? Can you record a track on the Lowrance and have it follow it?

Default Re: Garmin Reactor 40 Kicker

I have reactor 40 kicker. With lowrance hds 12 setup. My lowrance hooked up to Nema 2000 will allow the reactor to do software updates. As far as following tracks. I think you have to have garmin fishfinder/mapping. It also may have to be a higher end garmin to work. This was found on garmins website. Auto Guidance is a feature only available with Garmin compatible chartplotters and premium charts. Auto Guidance builds a path the vessel can follow to include turns, overhead clearance, and draft considerations, and how close you want to be to the shoreline.

Thanks for the insight. It says auto guidance is to create a path and have it avoid land or whatever else. I'm wondering if from my lowrance if I have it plot a track as I troll then if I want to turn around and have boat follow track back will it at least do that?

Garmin and lowrance are competing company’s. I doubt they would let the autopilot fully work with lowrance. Have you tried to find out what the cheapest garmin chart plotter that’s reactor compatible would cost? Maybe put a second graph by the drivers console some where. You could save some money by not buying the ghc 20 controller that way. The other thing is on Lake Erie even during the week. Good chance because of boat traffic or wave direction. You will not be able to follow your track anyways. You will end up changing course some. Nice thing is to setup a few of the buttons for 10 degree step turns. Instead of say 5. Where you will always be pushing the buttons allot more.

Yeah I was thinking that too. I'm kinda on the fence not a fan of garmin finders. I think with the ghc 20 and remote it will really do everything I need. Can I ask you pros and cons to reactor 40?

I had a tr1 before the reactor. Reactor is far better except for one thing. The throttle control is not near as sensitive compared to the tr1. In other words one push of the button. The throttle control moves it a little to much. Make sure you do not set down any magnetic stuff by the compass module. It seems more sensitive then the tr1. It is nice not having a trolling bar connected to the main motor. Keep the main tilted up. If you have a decent size boat. Using the no drill clamp the uncle Norms trolling fin helps give more rudder control. For the large 25 and up boats. Sometimes the main motor autopilot is better. Just because the cubby cab boats catch allot of wind. The main and kicker motors both in the water gives more steering control. https://unclenormsmarineproducts.com...n-trolling-fin

I would recommend rechargeable battery’s for the handheld remote. Plus an extra set to have along. I fishing out of a lund 1875 crossover. I did use a small ram mount to hold the remote in. Plus a ram mount for the display.
    Last edited by Snowking; 12-16-2021 at 03:45 PM.

I have a ghc 20 for sale brand new. I never used it. I love the reactor 40!