New to trolling New to trolling New to trolling New to trolling

Thread: New to trolling

Default New to trolling

I’m just starting out trolling on Lake Erie. If anyone has any recommendations of brands and places to buy gear.

looking for ideas on planar boards, planar motors or manual wheels, rods and reels, rod holders, type of line, wheigh, lurs , size and color. Anything else your willing to share... thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Bob1057 View Post
    IÂ’m just starting out trolling on Lake Erie. If anyone has any recommendations of brands and places to buy gear.

looking for ideas on planar boards, planar motors or manual wheels, rods and reels, rod holders, type of line, weight, lures , size and color. Anything else your willing to share... thanks in advance
    I figured I would pipe in here, as not a lot of responses on these types of questions.

Right from the start I would recommend on you buying the best quality equipment you can afford. You are going to have it for a while and it does not really wear out. On some stuff, the higher cost does not make it better than any other lower cost. Also you are going to find that this year is a very hard year to get some items, due to Covid. Diawa Rods are stuck in customs in shipping containers on the East Coast till August....

Next I would recommend you hit Bass Pro or Cabela's and actually touch the gear before you buy it. Feel, and perceived quality goes along way.

Now a couple of thing to keep in mind, how you are going to use, when you are going to use it, and where you are going to use it. Example, My boat is a 1775 Lund Pro-V. I purchased 7' Diawa Wildreness Rods a couple of years ago. I purchased the rods because they where cheap and they got me out on the water for a low price of $15 a rod. The length was the big factor, I had used longer rods on multiple buddies boats and did not like how the rod had to be set down so I could land the fish in the net by myself. A 7' rod helps with a long handle net...

I also started with Diawa Accudepth Reels, They where Cheap, $65 a reel and where what I could afford at the time. Now I picked them, as I could get replacement parts and drag washers if they wore out. They have not in the 3 years of fishing. I have actually upgrade to the Sealines this past year, and still have the old set of 6 Accudepths for Dipsey/Jet for Trout. Only do it 3-4 weekends a year, so they will work for the rest of my life.

As to rods and Reels, get what brand names you want, they all are pretty much priced matched for what you get, I just like Diawa. Buy 6 of each when you get them and all the same. that way the run the same in the water. M rods and 37 series reels from Diawa is what I use. I load the real full with line, and strip 10-30' as the summer runs by if there is nicks in them. No need to re-spooling until the next year.

For Boards, again there is multiple options out there, I stick with Offshore Brand. I like there regular in-line boards and run the OR-18 clips as an upgrade. I do not use tattle flags or any of that. Don't see a reason for it.

For lures, Bandits are the magic right now. I like the following colors, them seam to be the one that always hit this spring; Sunspot, SBTB, Orange Crush, and any others you think might work. There is also the inline spinner rigs, I make my own, so don't know what you have available locally. Then you are going to need some in-line weights (2oz) and Bottom Bouncers. You can go fancy line what I made up of just lead. Up to you. 20 lb test mono Big Game Line, some snap swivels, etc...

Outfitting your boat will be the next big cost, that is a whole other discussion. And dependent on preference/function on how to fish rather than price.

After this you should be set. Have fun fishing.

Now this is what I recommend, take it as grain of salt, as everyone has a different view on this topic.
    Call Sign "Double B"

1993 Lund Pro V
    1993 Mariner 75 Hp
    1988 Evinrude 4 Hp
    80 lb Min Kota Bow Mount
    Lowrance Hook 9 - 5" Bow
    1993 Shore Lander Trailer
    Motto "Old school is easier to maintain"

Ports of usage;
    Ranta Marina, Detroit River
    Colchester, Lake Erie
    Leamington, Lake Erie
    Wheatley, Lake Erie

Thank you very much. Any thoughts on manual planar board reels or motors ? Rod holders?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob1057 View Post
    Thank you very much. Any thoughts on manual planar board reels or motors ? Rod holders?
    I do not use the big Planer Board mast with Big boards and releases. I Use in-line Offshore Board that connect to each line individually. So I do not think I am understanding. Those big masts and Big boards are for large boats as the effect steering of smaller boats like mine. Like these;

New to trolling-offshore-boards-jpg

With these clips as an add-on

New to trolling-18-jpg

As to rods, I have always used Scotty rod holders on my boats, as I have 3 interchangeable mounts from previous owner on my boat rails. Also seeing I like taking them on off depending on what type of fishing I am doing. This past weekend I was jigging in the Detroit river and did not want them mounted. Also I handline in the Detroit rive and have a scotty mount for the reels.

My hand line mounting in same rod holders;

New to trolling-handline-jpg

I use Power lock rod holders, as they lock in the rods and reminds new to fishing to lock the rods in the holders so i do not lose any...
    Call Sign "Double B"

1993 Lund Pro V
    1993 Mariner 75 Hp
    1988 Evinrude 4 Hp
    80 lb Min Kota Bow Mount
    Lowrance Hook 9 - 5" Bow
    1993 Shore Lander Trailer
    Motto "Old school is easier to maintain"

Ports of usage;
    Ranta Marina, Detroit River
    Colchester, Lake Erie
    Leamington, Lake Erie
    Wheatley, Lake Erie

Default Re: New to trolling

Hello and welcome!Nice to meet you!I hope the forum will help you with all your questions!!

Default Re: New to trolling

rods and reels, rod holders, type of line, wheigh, lurs , size and color
    rods use 8-9 foot
    Rods $15-50 you are not casting so do not waste money
    reels they start at $40 and up buy at auction on E-bay
    Reels have to be larger to hold longer line. I have 450 Feet per pole
    200' of 30 LBS
    125 of 25' LBS. color 1
    125 of 25 LBS color 2
    It helps to keep line exact same on all poles uniformity creates efficacy. You actually know where you are all the time.
    rod holders that would be opinion or person preference I CAN NOT FIND ANY RIGHT OR WRONG IN ROD HOLDERS
    type of line : Lures Pro is 1000 Meters for $26-$40 depending on time of year Again Check auctions on E-Bay
    Line use at least 20 LBS Test Braided you can add a 25 LBS mono leader of 4-6 Feet
    weight use 1 OZ. Increments 1-6 OZ. I use 1 OZ. and 3 OZ. most.
    Lures - Bandits A Kind of Crank Bait - reef runners- spoons - wobblers
    Size 4" or larger EVERY THING I USE IS BETWEEN 4-6 INCHES
    Color : variety until you figure out what color works. I START WITH ALL DIFFERENT COLORS FIRST COLOR TO CATCH 2 FISH GETS PROMOTED TO 2 POLES
    Akuna reef runners for $2
    Bandits name brand are $5.89
    Properos Jumbo Crank Bait $2
    Spoons $1
    HAVE TO HAVE A LONGER NET THIS IS A MUST
    Fish finder that works at high speed
    use snap swivels that are 75 LBS test where braided to mono and weight is located
    use smaller swivels at lure

Last edited by Doug Lewis; 05-24-2021 at 08:24 PM.