Trolling rod lengths Trolling rod lengths Trolling rod lengths Trolling rod lengths

Default Trolling rod lengths

I run 3 boards on each side. Buying new rods..should they vary in length or all.the same?

I run first 2 rods 7.5 length 3 rod for back corner 7 ft.works for me 17 ft.boat with biminy top I leave up.

Quote Originally Posted by J Marshall View Post
    I run first 2 rods 7.5 length 3 rod for back corner 7 ft.works for me 17 ft.boat with biminy top I leave up.
    My preference is to run all the same length and class rods. I prefer 7' med-fast Daiwa Great Lakes rods. The triangular front grip helps with reeling when the action is one and you get excited. Keeping the reel up right is easier I find. They don't cost much, I think Franks Outdoors have them on sale for $40 a rod. Have fun finding them though, all fishing gear is backordered these days due to Covid.

Note I stick with shortest rods I can, My boat is a 93' Lund Pro V. So I don't have the room for a 9' rod and trying to unsnap the planner boards unless the person reeling is at the very front of the boat.

From what I've heard thru conversation with local tackle shops, everyone is switching to short rods these days. Even for Dipsey's and downriggers. No need for all the extra length, boards will take the lines where you need them to.
    Last edited by Double B; 03-07-2021 at 10:17 AM.