Trolling with Braid vs XT mono Trolling with Braid vs XT mono Trolling with Braid vs XT mono Trolling with Braid vs XT mono

Default Trolling with Braid vs XT mono

I like to run a dipsey's and spoons most of the time , all my rods have braid on them. There are days I want to switch my setup to bandits and DHJ12s but I don't seem to have any luck. Is the braid a heavier line ? The precision trolling app is all in XT line. anyone have any distances off the back with braid I could try? Or is best to to have Mono XT on few reels for when I want to switch my game plan?

When you’re in the app, select where it tells you the line type - you can change it. Nearly every lure has been tested on 10 lb mono and 10 lb braid.

To answer you’re original question if braid is a heavier line the answer is generally no. If you have equal rated braid vs mono (in lbs), the braid will allow the lure to run deeper. This is where line diameter comes into play - the diameter is what “catches” water and is the resistance. Heavier (bigger diameter) line will not dive as deep.

I'm having that problem myself, buying a few more rods gets expensive but I don't trust 10lb with dipsies

Personal preference I would never run mono with dipsey's. I would always run braid. Setting up another complete set of reels just for pulling plastics may not be very economical. In the precision trolling app when I go into bandits, it is does not give me a braid line do I have to upgrade my subscription?

I only use braid with a heavy snap swivel no problems. I don't go by the depth charts, they should be in the 25-30' range at 100' out. I just set out from 100 ft of line out up to 40 ft to start out and everywhere in between. Once I start catching fish I move all my rods to whatever that particular depth zone is. Doesn't matter if they're Bandits, Reef Runners, thundersticks, husky jerks, tail dancers, flicker minnows, etc I just cover the water column and let the fish tell me what they want. I haven't had all bandits or all ddhj12 in my spread at once, keep them mixed up. Seems like one particular will be hot one day and no good the next, color is a bigger factor for me than brand. If I don't catch anything I play with speed and direction. If I catch for a while then stop, I turn around.

Last time I had RR, bandits, deep thunderstick, tail dancer, and shadrap all in the same spread, caught fish on all of them, as long as it was orange/red. 40' was the magic number but the shad rap was 70.