Great Lakes /trump Great Lakes /trump Great Lakes /trump Great Lakes /trump
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default EPA /Trump

like all other government programs it has grown too big and too powerful. They limit growth. No one would deny we want clean lakes and water...of course we do. But when it come to things like lake erie...why do we stand by and let the Canadians rape it of its bounty??? We pay to stock it. Then they gill net it empty and sell it back to us. Canada does NOTHING to replenish the fish in these lakes. I have seen the waste from their giant factory ships. Thousands of huge dead walleye floating dead behind their ships. they dont even want the big ones...they just throw them back...dead. Or sell it to the catfood industry. Anyone who has been on this lake awhile has seen it. We saw their nets between the islands before....and our government done nothing about it...even though we called and called. Now there is something needed addressed. stop buying their walleye. Well..it is our walleye..they just steal it...then sell it back to us.!!! If you look at history...they have emptied lake erie 4 times. wiped it out. tons and tons of walleye a day....4 giant factory ships....miles after mile of gill nets.

Quote Originally Posted by pappyon View Post
    like all other government programs it has grown too big and too powerful. They limit growth. No one would deny we want clean lakes and water...of course we do. But when it come to things like lake erie...why do we stand by and let the Canadians rape it of its bounty??? We pay to stock it. Then they gill net it empty and sell it back to us. Canada does NOTHING to replenish the fish in these lakes. I have seen the waste from their giant factory ships. Thousands of huge dead walleye floating dead behind their ships. they dont even want the big ones...they just throw them back...dead. Or sell it to the catfood industry. Anyone who has been on this lake awhile has seen it. We saw their nets between the islands before....and our government done nothing about it...even though we called and called. Now there is something needed addressed. stop buying their walleye. Well..it is our walleye..they just steal it...then sell it back to us.!!! If you look at history...they have emptied lake erie 4 times. wiped it out. tons and tons of walleye a day....4 giant factory ships....miles after mile of gill nets.
    I've personally seen/ drove over Canadian gill nets in U.S. waters. Something does need done about this. Gill netting on that level should be outlawed.

Blog Entries

I don't know much about the gil nets, but if you see one in American waters can you cut them or damage them in any way?

Quote Originally Posted by bahabear112 View Post
    I've personally seen/ drove over Canadian gill nets in U.S. waters. Something does need done about this. Gill netting on that level should be outlawed.
    If you have reason to believe you have seen gill nets in American waters you should call the TIP hotline and if possible give them the GPS location for those nets and help get the illegal netters caught and prosecuted. All gill nets are illegal in the Ohio waters of lake Erie except those set by the ODNR for analytical data for management purposes.

Everyone should get involved and help the enforcement people out when you see a wrong being done especially gill nets. It may not be a good idea to go cutting nets unless you are absolutely sure they are Illegal Gill nets. Then it would be a questionable practice, those nets continue to kill fish even if they are not fastened to their respective markers as well as becoming a navigational hazard free floating around the lake.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Quote Originally Posted by pappyon View Post
    Wow I don't even know what to say about this post other than I admire your passion. But just to clear up a few things the Canadian commercial fleet is highly regulated. I fish out of Wheatley and Erieau Ontario at least 20 days a year and see every commercial tug (I've never seen a "factory ship" but I see lots of freighters) boarded by OMNR enforcement and their catch inspected. Their industry is on an annual harvest quota based off the Great Lakes Commission Total Allowable Catch (TAC) numbers. Commercial fishing operations on the U.S. side of the lake can harvest yellow perch on quotas too....which is where the nets you see on our side of the line come from. Those same TAC numbers also determine Canada, Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and New York sport fishing quotas that determine bag limits.

You are correct that Canada does not stock or pay to stock any fish into Lake Erie with the exception of steelhead. But neither does Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, or NY...other than steelhead and a few lake trout. The walleye and perch fisheries reproduce prolifically in Lake Erie and it's tributaries.

I've only fished on the lake for around 40 years so I haven't experienced any of the 4 times it was emptied by the Canadians. I hope they don't do it anymore though!

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

I don't blame people for being alarmed, at first. It sounds like a major change in how government functions, a big cut in operational funds. But we shouldn't fall victim to the hysteria that almost always happens when proposed budgets are first announced.

One thing we should all remember is these are Proposals. They are not a final budget. Congress will hash it out [maybe? :-)]. We all know politicians are not likely to do something the majority of their constituents are against.

I think it's best to keep an eye on this, watch, wait, and learn. No matter how you feel about it we need to at least take a serious look at how the funds are being allocated and spent. Every organization, from a single family to the Federal Government, needs to review their operation now and then in order to make changes to get the most out of their funds.

Meanwhile, I would suggest we all look to our own communities and our own actions. We can do our share by doing the immediate things, like making sure your boat doesn't discharge oils and other pollutants. Use a leader so when the line breaks you don't leave 30 yds of line on the bottom. Respecting the environmental laws and wildlife laws. And most important - take a kid or someone who never has of hasn't in a long time out fishing. If we don't at least replace ourselves in the recreation, there won't be a major voice in the future for conservation.

Quote Originally Posted by West Basin View Post
    I don't blame people for being alarmed, at first. It sounds like a major change in how government functions, a big cut in operational funds. But we shouldn't fall victim to the hysteria that almost always happens when proposed budgets are first announced.

One thing we should all remember is these are Proposals. They are not a final budget. Congress will hash it out [maybe? :-)]. We all know politicians are not likely to do something the majority of their constituents are against.

I think it's best to keep an eye on this, watch, wait, and learn. No matter how you feel about it we need to at least take a serious look at how the funds are being allocated and spent. Every organization, from a single family to the Federal Government, needs to review their operation now and then in order to make changes to get the most out of their funds.

Meanwhile, I would suggest we all look to our own communities and our own actions. We can do our share by doing the immediate things, like making sure your boat doesn't discharge oils and other pollutants. Use a leader so when the line breaks you don't leave 30 yds of line on the bottom. Respecting the environmental laws and wildlife laws. And most important - take a kid or someone who never has of hasn't in a long time out fishing. If we don't at least replace ourselves in the recreation, there won't be a major voice in the future for conservation.
    You can't wait until they cut the funds to ***** about it. The time to take action is now while in the preliminary stages of this possible budget cut. Closing the gate after the horse is out is and has always been a losing strategy. Everyone who cares needs to contact their congressional representative NOW before it's to late.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

I'm sorry did you just say too big too powerful and limit growth and also champion for the reduction of gill nets
    Yeah I get it

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Very easy to get people upset when talking politics. :-) No matter what you say here someone is usually going to misinterpret it and occasionally even attack it. I understand that. Very difficult to make a point without someone misinterpreting it.

To make my point clear (pun intended), we obviously need to protect our natural resources, the Great Lakes included. If you really care you will make your voice heard, take action. At the same time you need to have all the information available, be up to date on an issue. Have the current and pertinent facts, not outdated information, speculation and opinion. There is more than enough misinformation and misunderstanding out there to go around.

We all need to play a part. The less misunderstandings and conflict we have the better, and the faster we can address issues and protect and conserve our Natural Resources in the most efficient manner possible.

Looking forward to this open water season and hopefully meeting some of you up at the Lake.