Using plastics during jigging bite Using plastics during jigging bite Using plastics during jigging bite Using plastics during jigging bite

Default Using plastics during jigging bite

This may often be more of a river thing because of the natural action in current... and it is very common around me in cold water… but I've never seen anyone mention or talk about plastics for here on Lake Erie. At least not since I have been following the threads. Anyone ever try the common twister tails, ring worms, paddle tails or even something like the 4" moxi shown below?

I'll be on the water the first week of April for the first time, just thought I'd ask and see you all thought there is any potential in it?
    Attached Images Attached Images Using plastics during jigging bite-thumbnail-1-asp-jpg 

I thought about trying some moxi, not as a jib, but on a 3 way rig with a bottom bouncer to help prevent being hung up in the rocks, then a 2 foot lead the 3 way, then a 6 ft trailer just a hook and the moxi and let it drag as we drift to get some action . My moxi's have not come in yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by cycleguy View Post
    This may often be more of a river thing because of the natural action in current... and it is very common around me in cold water… but I've never seen anyone mention or talk about plastics for here on Lake Erie. At least not since I have been following the threads. Anyone ever try the common twister tails, ring worms, paddle tails or even something like the 4" moxi shown below?

I'll be on the water the first week of April for the first time, just thought I'd ask and see you all thought there is any potential in it?
    I have used them on the reefs with good luck over the years. They work as good as they do for river fish. I have switched mostly to hair jigs, blades, and mayfly rigs now for casting.

Kent
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

I have always used plastic's before ever trying hair jigs and had great success. Plastic is still my first choice, but I have plenty of confidence using plastics for jigging. Sometimes the walleye want a faster fall that you get using hair vs plastic. But you can go to a heavier jig head to help. I have plenty of hair jigs, but still have better results using plastics. Like everything else, use what works for you, and don't be afraid to try new things.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.