Mono vs. Flouro ??? Mono vs. Flouro ??? Mono vs. Flouro ??? Mono vs. Flouro ???
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Probably right about the visibility of the mono in the western basin not being as critical.May become an issue fishing in summer in central basin.The fluorocarbon,we use for harnesses and leaders don't use as much as an everyday charter.If that mono works good for you Captain Eric,i see no reason to change.The fluorocarbon is a little stiffer and easier to tie my double hook harnesses for casting and trolling also.

Comment on why using mono instead of braid is yes,less slip through the releases.The stretch of the mono also makes the inline boards run through the water better.

I think the floro has less memory in it. Seems to untangle a lot easier to when a couple lines get together, a lot of times if the lines are not pulled real tight in a tangle the floro actualy almost seems to open up a little. When I have used mono that doesn't seem to quite be the case. Course different diameters of lines could drastically effect this too.
    Last edited by branhamautomotive; 02-14-2018 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Auto correct
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

A lot of good info coming in here! I found this video, and I was surprised by the results as well! I'm not trying to change anyone's mind - use what you have CONFIDENCE in! I use 20# Trilene XT Low Vis Green for my leaders... Does it get nicks and frays? Yes. But I can tell you honestly, the biggest fish i ever lost behind the boat pulled a wire harness apart with breaking the leader....guess that one didn't have any nicks! lol

Check out this video....interesting test of mono vs. fluoro abrasion resistance....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiQTvmM-1cY
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing

Check out this video....interesting test of mono vs. fluoro abrasion resistance....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiQTvmM-1cY

WOW....just bought a bunch of new Flouro....making me have doubts now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    Surprised so many use mono with their inline boards. I use braid and have no line breaks. I suppose the main reason some use mono is less slipping?

Sorry Eric, didn't mean to hijack. I use mono leaders over fluro.
    That's what I've heard.....some have had issues with inline boards slipping on the braid. Most I know use 16# sunline with offshore boards.
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    www.eriecharter.com

Interesting video...I've always wondered about Flouro. Even when tying knots in Flouro to add your terminal tackle it seemed almost "brittle". A little kink it would break...if you tied a knot without wetting it enough it would break. I've always been leery of it...
    Eriegardless Sportfishing

Offering charters for up to 6 people on a 28' Carolina Classic and 1-3 person charters on a 2021 Starcraft Fishmaster

419-702-0589

Eriegardless Sportfishing - Website
    Eriegardless Sportfishing - Facebook
    Eriegardless Custom Lures

Watched the video and does look convincing that mono has more abrasion resistance.We do not have any issues with our trolling harnesses and leaders,but have had casting rigs breaking.We often cast on the rocks in Canadian waters.Have had rigs break occasionally,bouncing them on the bottom where limestone and zebra mussels abraid your line.Will try some mono this year on some rigs and see how they hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    Watched the video and does look convincing that mono has more abrasion resistance.We do not have any issues with our trolling harnesses and leaders,but have had casting rigs breaking.We often cast on the rocks in Canadian waters.Have had rigs break occasionally,bouncing them on the bottom where limestone and zebra mussels abraid your line.Will try some mono this year on some rigs and see how they hold up.
    I think casting the rocks would test the abrasion resistance of any line! Zebra mussels (a.k.a. razor blades!!!) can cut anything!!!
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    www.eriecharter.com

I agree with the fact that fluoro disappears better in the water, and has very good handling characteristics. I use fluoro more in salt water. I guess it's just the fact that I've stuck with the 20# trilene for leaders, and it's been good to me, so i keep using it! I was surprised by the tests in the video because fluoro has always advertised better abrasion resistance than mono... Maybe someday I'll get bored and do my own test like that!
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    www.eriecharter.com

all i know if i ever go fishing for sand paper am defiantly using mono LOL