Headed to Lake Erie Headed to Lake Erie Headed to Lake Erie Headed to Lake Erie
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by EYEFISH4FOOD View Post
    Hey Capt Eric.... We will be at Lot 176. Definitely look forward to meeting you and the guys. Nothing better than meeting new fishing friends and thanks for everything you guys do for this site!
    If you can't find me there, look for me at Crabby Joe's or the Crow's Nest..... if it wasn't for those places, I'd probably starve to death!
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by EYEFISH4FOOD View Post
    Skipper, I am completely new to this walleye fishing (trolling). Wife and I just bought a camper and will be seasonal at Fort Firelands and looking to spend a lot of time there this summer. I know a lot of people have their own opinions on rods/reels/line/lures. Could you guide me on the line situation? I'm curious to know about filling my reels for the first time. Some people say mono others say braid etc. Do you fill the entire spool from start to finish with say 10# test mono? Can I run boards on 10# test? Do I have to re-spool for summertime while using dipsey's? Any help would be greatly appreciated and I value your opinion. All advice from anyone will be much appreciated.
    10# will work but i'd go with 12# myself. you want to use braid for dipsies. mono just has to much stretch for tripping a diver. most people use 30# power pro for running dipsies with a 6' to 8' fluro leader. i use 20# seaguar premier leader. when spooling braid i use 150' of 17# mono as backer on my sg17lca reels then 300' of braid. never use mono for divers it just wont work. always use a mono backing for braid. if you don't use a mono backing you'll have a problem with the line slipping on the spool. you can use 30# braid for boards and divers. no need to have reels spooled with mono and reels spooled with braid. also braid will last for yrs. I've been running the same braid for over 10 yrs. mono should be replaced at least every yr.

Eye, I know this is going to raise some eye brows but I have been running 17# strene for five or six years now. I just check the first 20 ft. or so for nicks and remove if found. Haven't had a break off yet. Knock on some wood!
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Eric View Post
    If you can't find me there, look for me at Crabby Joe's or the Crow's Nest..... if it wasn't for those places, I'd probably starve to death!
    Sounds good! I've been to Crabby Joe's once and they had great food. Never been to Crow's Nest. I'll have to check that place out.

Quote Originally Posted by sherman51 View Post
    10# will work but i'd go with 12# myself. you want to use braid for dipsies. mono just has to much stretch for tripping a diver. most people use 30# power pro for running dipsies with a 6' to 8' fluro leader. i use 20# seaguar premier leader. when spooling braid i use 150' of 17# mono as backer on my sg17lca reels then 300' of braid. never use mono for divers it just wont work. always use a mono backing for braid. if you don't use a mono backing you'll have a problem with the line slipping on the spool. you can use 30# braid for boards and divers. no need to have reels spooled with mono and reels spooled with braid. also braid will last for yrs. I've been running the same braid for over 10 yrs. mono should be replaced at least every yr.
    Thanks Sherman, I will definitely put that info to use. I really appreciate all the help I can get being the "noob" on the lake!

Quote Originally Posted by Bggeary View Post
    Eye, I know this is going to raise some eye brows but I have been running 17# strene for five or six years now. I just check the first 20 ft. or so for nicks and remove if found. Haven't had a break off yet. Knock on some wood!
    Do you run dipsys off that mono? I'm sure you did raise some eyebrows!! hahaha.

Dipsies, TT 40's you name it.

Dipsies, TT 40's you name it.
    how do you get the dipsies to trip for you?? your the only guy i know that uses mono on them.

Adjust the screw. What do you think they used before braid?

Adjust the screw. What do you think they used before braid?
    i fish the central basin and most times fish in rough water. if the screw is to loose all i get is false releases. i still get a few with the screws set tight enough so there not releasing all the time. and it still takes a pretty good jerk to trip a diver out 150' to 200' when the fish are deep.

just want to add if its working for you then that's great. stick with what works, right? i don't really know what was used before braid for divers. but just because it works doesn't mean mono is better than braid. to each there own. i'll stick with braid myself.
    Last edited by sherman51; 02-14-2018 at 02:58 PM.