Perch rigging Perch rigging Perch rigging Perch rigging
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perch rigging

Default Perch rigging

Hey guys. New to all this. I bought some perch harnesses on eBay. Wondering how you guys rig. Do I need to put a slip weight or a sinker on my line also or what. Also anybody perch fishing around metzger marsh and where is a good place to go in this area. Any help is very much appreciated

I use a spreader with a 3/4 oz built in, (see my photo's in the album.)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightrider1818 View Post
    Hey guys. New to all this. I bought some perch harnesses on eBay. Wondering how you guys rig. Do I need to put a slip weight or a sinker on my line also or what. Also anybody perch fishing around metzger marsh and where is a good place to go in this area. Any help is very much appreciated

There are several bait shops near to where you will be fishing. If you bought (SOME) gear from them they could recomend how to rig your line. They work hard, get up very early and know what works, not trying to bash you for shopping online BUT the few pennys you save is not worth it to me plus you have to get your minnows from them anyway. just sayin. Hope I didnt offend you but gave you somthing to think about.

Default perch

we went out yesterday me wife 3 grandkids bought 4 dozen goldies ran out of minnows and ended with 53 perch weighed 17 pounds then ran up towards intake to cast for some eyes made 1 drift caught 11 walleye kept 3 straight out from pier 20 ft of water maybe a little north had buddy trolling same spot took 35 eyes kept 11 there is a lot of fish right at your home port sad thing i got gas so my fish cost me a hundred bucks but i have fresh fish for dinner and some for freezer. butch and Dennys loaded down with buckets of fish both walleye and perch we use spreaders on bottom minnows are getting expensive not very many for 18 bucks for 4 dozen looked like 1 dozen

What were you using that you caught the walleye on

Default walleye

What were you using that you caught the walleye on
    my homemade harnesses i do sell them along with perch spreaders and perch rigs really busy right now we ran out of supplies thats why i was able to go fishing now rain and back to making spreaders

you might of bought a walleye harness which uses a egg sinker got a pick does it have a blade or what sent you a pm

If the perch are biting hard, i use a spreader. Otherwise, and sometimes anyhow, what I do is this:

Put a swivel on the line. Put a sinker on the swivel. Get some of those plastic in-line slip fit thingies that you thread a loop into on one side, your hook on a leader on the other. If you don't know what I mean, I can post pics. Anyhow, put one about 8" above the sinker, so the minnow will be right near the bottom. Put a second so it's about a foot off the bottom, give or take.

This provides a more sensitive feel than a spreader, lets you keep the sinker right on the bottom, and lets you figure out where the fish are biting- tight to the bottom or a tad off.

Another good approach is to put the sinker on about a 1 foot leader, on the swivel, and put the perch hook about on a similar length leader, but with a small in-line Styrofoam float near the hook, so it stays off the bottom. These are available in a variety of colors and if the water is murkey, sometimes helps.

Best perch rig.Tie 2 hooks directly to your line.The top hook should be about 20 inches and the bottom hook should be 8 inches .Then tie a one ounce barrel sinker to the end of the line.This setup will out fish spreaders or any other kind of perch rig.I use spyder wire and a graphite rod .

try using crappie rigs for the same effect