Muddy Water? Cans or Islands? Muddy Water? Cans or Islands? Muddy Water? Cans or Islands? Muddy Water? Cans or Islands?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Muddy Water? Cans or Islands?

Heading out for the first time on new boat, and first time trolling. I've got limited opportunities for this activity, but have acquired all the gear and done extensive "youtube" research in the winter months. Very excited to say the least.

I'm sure the lake has been thrashing with the weather this past week. I was curious if the imagery below of the water clarity would be enough to send me to a different location, or if no impact?

https://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/mo...e.143.250m.jpg

Don't mind jumping around, but want to give myself the best chance! I'm sure this depends on the flavor of the day and where the fish mark, but in general... are Perfect 10s bringing them in or are we looking at depths whereas a bandit or deep husky jerk is more appealing? I realize the dive charts come into play too, but again first time pulling boards and without getting too granular just looking to keep it within my learning curve.

Sounds like I'll sit on 79 and see if anyone is out there tomorrow.

Looks like Stony Point in Michigan has clear water. That would've been my choice today if it weren't for the cold. Decent launch at Sterling State Park and then we usually head out through the little bay and have had luck fishing 20 fow between the two points (Stony Point and whatever the other is). Don't know why it happens but often when the islands are really muddy there is clear water in that small area which can be seen in that satellite image you attached. Downside is needing a Michigan license which isn't cheap this year... I fish inland Michigan lakes too so I end up getting both states every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauken23 View Post
    Looks like Stony Point in Michigan has clear water. That would've been my choice today if it weren't for the cold. Decent launch at Sterling State Park and then we usually head out through the little bay and have had luck fishing 20 fow between the two points (Stony Point and whatever the other is). Don't know why it happens but often when the islands are really muddy there is clear water in that small area which can be seen in that satellite image you attached. Downside is needing a Michigan license which isn't cheap this year... I fish inland Michigan lakes too so I end up getting both states every year.
    Thank you for the input. I guess I should have noted the boat is in the water at Catawba. Which is why I kind of elected Cans or Islands. I've read a good amount it seems about a wild wings location and more frequently K Can. I was not sure if that mud clarity is just something to avoid entirely or if there's not a big impact.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rookie View Post
    Thank you for the input. I guess I should have noted the boat is in the water at Catawba. Which is why I kind of elected Cans or Islands. I've read a good amount it seems about a wild wings location and more frequently K Can. I was not sure if that mud clarity is just something to avoid entirely or if there's not a big impact.

Thanks.
    Funny, I was actually going to note that this doesn't really help those with their boats already in the water. We live in Toledo and prefer launching from Turtle Creek or Catawba but I actually looked at the same satellite photo yesterday and would've gone to Michigan but we cancelled due to cold. With the right colors you can do ok in muddy water but I know many who post here search for the clear water. Mud lines are great if you can locate them. Anyway, hope the bite is decent today for those who are out!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauken23 View Post
    Funny, I was actually going to note that this doesn't really help those with their boats already in the water. We live in Toledo and prefer launching from Turtle Creek or Catawba but I actually looked at the same satellite photo yesterday and would've gone to Michigan but we cancelled due to cold. With the right colors you can do ok in muddy water but I know many who post here search for the clear water. Mud lines are great if you can locate them. Anyway, hope the bite is decent today for those who are out!
    Ok...I'll add to my need for basic knowledge...does "too cold" mean the fish shut down when it swings like it has, or because as a human it is not as enjoyable?!

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rookie View Post
    Ok...I'll add to my need for basic knowledge...does "too cold" mean the fish shut down when it swings like it has, or because as a human it is not as enjoyable?!
    Mostly the fish shut down from what I've experienced. Also, with low 30's today the human factor isn't good ether

from the sat pic... from your starting point... east side of kellys may have best water color...sure there'll be boats there.

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman 2 View Post
    from the sat pic... from your starting point... east side of kellys may have best water color...sure there'll be boats there.
    Haha...agreed on the 30s stinging a bit too much!

Here is an updated picture from today, appears to be clearing up. And would think even better tomorrow. Maybe I will head east of Kellys to start and then cans. But if any reports come in today I'll certainly be curious to hear.

https://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/mo...e.143.250m.jpg

See Capt. Jul's last report pretty informative. A little past for my thoughts but it's a place to start.

Gene

The bite, was an afternoon bite yesterday, from all the reports I heard later in the day yesterday. That would be thanks to the big full moon we are having right now, and the clear skies at night.

The stained, but not muddy, or too clean water, is what you're looking for.

Water temps dropped about 5 degrees overall since last Wednesday, but this sunshine all week will help bring that back up.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters