Sauger Sauger Sauger Sauger
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sauger

Default Sauger

Check out this sauger caught on eyehunter 3. It was 25 inches long and weighed over 6 pounds. It is a half inch longer than the state record but it did not weigh enough to even be close to the record. It is at the taxidermist getting mounted. I think it was pretty cool. Good job Capt Erik and Capt Rob.Sauger-fb_img_1435096274681-jpg

You guys sure that's a sauger? Idk the color looks a little dark. Either way, pretty fish.
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

100 percent sure. The picture I got from a customers old phone. I know the picture sucks. If you seen it in person you can tell right away.

I thought the white on the tail was a mark for walleye. Do saugers also have the white on the bottom of tailfin. Not doubting your catch, I'm just asking because I don't know. Lol. Its a nice fish regardless.
    I'm gonna miss her.... ....Maybe not so much, now that she left

2016 Tracker Targa V18 w/t
    150 Mercury 4 stroke
    9.9 Mercury 4 stroke kicker

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKraft View Post
    I thought the white on the tail was a mark for walleye. Do saugers also have the white on the bottom of tailfin. Not doubting your catch, I'm just asking because I don't know. Lol. Its a nice fish regardless.
    Wyoming Game and Fish lists a description of the differences.
    https://wgfd.wyo.gov/fishexam/specie...eVsSauger.aspx

Usually here, where Saugers are pretty common on some of the waters, a white tipped tail is a strong indicator of a saugeye, a cross between the two. Some of the side splotching will not be as obvious, but usually the top fin is still strongly marked with the spots. A true sauger will be without a white tip. As said, it may just be the photo…. cool fish either way.

I was thinking saugeye when I seen the white tip on the tail. I catch a lot of them out of the local reservoirs. They look just like that.

Sauger-screenshot_2015-06-24-20-00-50-jpg This is what the fish looks like.

I think it's a big gobbie, but that's just me. I'm not saying that I know better than you what it is, but sure looks like a giant gobbie to me. Can you post the difference between a Gobbie and a walleye please?

-Matt

Lol!! Now that I look at it. It might be a gobbie!! The taxidermist said it was a Sauger. I don't believe there are any stocked saugeye in lake erie. I did read that the sauger and walleye have been breeding together. Either way the fish was very nice looking and will be added to the wall! Once it gets mounted I will post some better pictures of it. It suppose to be done before January.