What exactly is the shiner problem? What exactly is the shiner problem? What exactly is the shiner problem? What exactly is the shiner problem?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What exactly is the shiner problem?

I see it in all the threads. Whats the problem? Its not even fall yet, why are there no shiners.

Still getting reports that ODNR is checking dealers bait tanks and if they find small walleyes in the tank the dealer loses the whole tank. The rumor is that there are so many small walleyes that the minnow boats can't find shiners without the YOY walleyes mixed in.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Default tiny eyes

Quote Originally Posted by eriedeerie View Post
    I see it in all the threads. Whats the problem? Its not even fall yet, why are there no shiners.
    The comment about tiny walleye minnows may be the ticket. I've caught a dozen small eyes in the 6-9 inch size so the minnies are here too.

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    Still getting reports that ODNR is checking dealers bait tanks and if they find small walleyes in the tank the dealer loses the whole tank. The rumor is that there are so many small walleyes that the minnow boats can't find shiners without the YOY walleyes mixed in.
    Don't they give us any credit at all? If I or anyone else finds a walleye in my bucket I'm not going to put it on the hook. I'm going to release it. Duhhhhh

I found a couple in my bucket a couple weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Defernaut View Post
    Don't they give us any credit at all? If I or anyone else finds a walleye in my bucket I'm not going to put it on the hook. I'm going to release it. Duhhhhh
    I am not wanting to start a pissing match but there is a reason for dumping the shiners and small walleyes.

It is not a matter of giving any of us credit for our sportsmenship and not believing we would let them go, it is the law! The law is the law and we must all follow the rules or risk suffering the consequences.

Example~~~ If you buy shiners and get 4 scoops for 2 people to Perch fish and there would be a total of 14 small walleyes in that bait bucket and you would be checked by an ODNR Enforcement Officer. If he/she would want to see your bait as he would be already aware of the Walleye in the bait problem, he could if he wanted to, give you a citation for 14 under sized walleyes and another for each walleye over the 6 walleye per person limit. I am not saying that they would, but if you or your fishing partner would rub the Officer the wrong way and ruffel the officers feathers that officer could legally do so.

So to date my sources have told me that they have not been giving citations to the bait stores but instead have allowed them to release the mixed tank of bait and YOY walleyes back into the wild. I cannot believe they will continue to be lenient with the netters or the bait stores if they keep getting caught with small YOY walleyes in their possession. Most of the netters would not bring them in to shore if there would be a mixed net of bait and walleyes but would release them immediately.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

A thoughtful discussion among adults is not a pissing match. Good thing too, because at my advanced age it would be more like a dribble match. It is inconceivable to me that anyone would be punished because random game fish fingerlings turned up in baitfish. There is the letter of the law and there is the spirit of the law. If I buy a bucket of minnows and a walleye is among them, I am in violation of the letter of the law but in no way have I willfully violated any law. The same is true of the bait dealers and the bait fishermen. If this years walleye recruitment is as good as it appears, that is wonderful but in no way should the shiner fishermen, the bait dealers or the perch fishermen be made to suffer for it. Perhaps the DNR agents could post signs at the dealers mentioning that walleye fingerlings have been mixed in with the shiners and ask that they be released carefully. Maybe thats not practical, but some allowances must be made. They cannot shut down the entire bait industry. Not even the DNR can expect the bait fishermen to sort through thousands of shiners to seperate the occasional walleye. I am finished now.

Quote Originally Posted by Defernaut View Post
    A thoughtful discussion among adults is not a pissing match. Good thing too, because at my advanced age it would be more like a dribble match. It is inconceivable to me that anyone would be punished because random game fish fingerlings turned up in baitfish. There is the letter of the law and there is the spirit of the law. If I buy a bucket of minnows and a walleye is among them, I am in violation of the letter of the law but in no way have I willfully violated any law. The same is true of the bait dealers and the bait fishermen. If this years walleye recruitment is as good as it appears, that is wonderful but in no way should the shiner fishermen, the bait dealers or the perch fishermen be made to suffer for it. Perhaps the DNR agents could post signs at the dealers mentioning that walleye fingerlings have been mixed in with the shiners and ask that they be released carefully. Maybe thats not practical, but some allowances must be made. They cannot shut down the entire bait industry. Not even the DNR can expect the bait fishermen to sort through thousands of shiners to seperate the occasional walleye. I am finished now.

I did not mean to come across as a fishing scrooge, sorry about that. This whole conversation is in my opinion still based upon a rumor, a rumor that some very reliable sources has made me aware of.

With that being said I am not so sure that I would want the ODNR selectively enforcing the law as it is written, meaning it is ok to possess them now just because of their over abundance in the lakes minnow gathering areas. I don't think the ODNR wants to selectively enforce the law either as it would create problems with other enforcement measures, but are using their discretion about whether to cite or not to cite violations of the possession law. That is why they are asking/making the bait stores to dump their tanks and not issuing citations at this time. Ethical bait stores should not and would not be knowingly selling shiners with a mix of YOY Walleyes included in your bait purchase.

It is part of the fishing game and we all suffer for a very large hatch if that hatch is actually a fact. The minnow boats, bait stores and the fishermen all suffer when these naturally occurring events take place, with the netters enduring the most sufferage, the bait stores can at least get Golden Shiners to sell and we fishermen have the option to purchase them or not. With the number of reports that this is taking place, and this happened to some extent in 2003 but mostly at the net boats dock and not the stores, it would appear that this is even a better recruitment of YOY than 2003, but that is only my opinion. There are reports as far east as the Cleveland area about the abundance of YOY Walleyes in the minnow nets.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Sort of like getting a speeding ticket for 66 in a 65 if you ask me. Sure it's against the law but most would use discretion.

You have to keep in mind all the different people that are using these minnows. While you and I and probably everyone on this board would release the walleye. How many people go on a perch charter that have never even seen an emerald. Can you imagine a head boat!!! Everyone that fishes doesn't even know the difference. Who knows maybe the emerald shortage will lead us down a path that works better. ie...crawfish claws or whatever. Myself, it is more important that the walleye prosper than it is to make perch fishing easier. Just my opinion....everyones got one.